Chapter 9: MEMORIES

"He put your life as collateral Addy!" The prince exclaims in frustration. Adelaide is numb from what she hears. "No, it's not possible, they need me to help out-"

"They want a second slave to help out but they know they can just overwork her as they do to you if they are not able to pay back the loan."

"It's okay, I'd just do my best and if it's not good enough I'll just have to-"

"You can't die, Adelaide. Don't even say it."

"There's nothing left to live for."

"What about me? What am I supposed to do without you?"

The young woman is speechless from his question. "There is no happy ending for us-"

"You don't know that. I'll fight for us and if we lose then we'll die together"

"Don't say that your highness-"

"Addy I don't know how I can make this any clearer for you. I love you and I cannot live without you. I refuse to live without you." He takes her hands kissing them, then wraps his hands around her waist, bringing her closer.

"I'll make this work. Just trust me...okay?"

She nods, looking up at him. Nicholas kisses her forehead, cupping her cheek.

"I have a surprise for you, but it's for your birthday," he says looking into her eyes.

"You remembered," she mutters to herself.

"Of course I'd remember your birthday princess. I remember everything about you. Everything you've ever told me from the day we met."

"ADELAIDE!!" they hear Grayson yell.

She quickly removes herself from Nicholas and turns to leave but he holds her arm, making her look back at him.

"On your birthday, meet me by the stream okay?" she nods at him. He pulls her to him, claiming her lips. She responds to him as he holds her body against him, he needs her taste to last till they meet again.

"ADELAIDE! Where is that bitch!" Grayson exclaims.

She breaks the kiss immediately.

"I love you Addy," she smiles, nodding at him before running out of the stables and sighting Grayson just a few away.

"I'm here My Lord!" she exclaims running up to him and bowing her head. "I apologize for-"

Adelaide feels a painful smack on her cheek, making her gasp. The same spot he hit her last time!

"Useless fool! You dare make me wait!" he roars in anger.

"My...apologies...My Lord"

"And where did you get those sandals from?!"

She knew accepting these from the prince was a mistake! What in the world is she supposed to say now?

The man grabs her ear, twisting it, making her cry out in pain, "You're stealing again?!"

"No, please My Lord. It was a man in the stable that gave it to me," she says, feeling her ear pound like her heartbeat, the pain is getting unbearable.

"Let's go home and stop making a scene," his mother says in annoyance, turning to head out of the castle.

Nicholas sees Grayson's actions, taking a step out of the stables, only to be dragged back by someone. He turns around, furious to see who dares stop him,

"You'll only make it worse for her"

"Eli," Nicholas breathes out, trying to calm himself. The old man looks at Adelaide who is being yelled at by Grayson and shakes his head.