Chapter 25

Saruhiko

I just wanted the answer to my question. That's all. I didn't want her to turn right around and put me on the spot. She didn't understand, she wouldn't ever be able to.

She fits in there. But me? Ha, I felt totally out of place. I was an outcast and I was an idiot to think that they'd ever except me. No, she just doesn't get it. She doesn't get me.

It makes me grit teeth even now, walking down the sidewalk on my way to pick Akane up.

Where in in the world did she come up with that conjecture? And she was wrong to assume that I would turn on my best friend if he had joined Scepter 4 with me. But then again... I already betrayed him by leaving Homra.

I closed my eyes, attempting to clear my mind of the less than pleasant thoughts that made me feel slightly nauseous. Perhaps just asking her is a bad idea. I don't think she'll be too keen on giving up Aki's secret. Which makes more work for me. Great.

~•~•~

Where are we going?" Akane asked as she walked with me.

"I thought we might just go back to my place" I answered and then, realizing that that had sounded rather suggestive, I added, "To hang out or whatever."

I figured that if I really wanted to get what I needed, we'd have to be in a controlled setting. There's only so much you can ask a person in public without the worry of others listening in on your conversation. Plus, in a controlled setting such as my house, I'd have the upper hand. People can easily get confused and become impressionable when in unfamiliar surroundings.

I unlock my front door and walked in, dropping the bag that I had been carrying to the floor with a loud thud that echoed slightly. I turned and raised an eyebrow at Akane who still stood outside of my house and stared in.

"Well?" I asked, bringing her back from the very depths of her subconscious.

"Oh" she mumbled, her tone questioning as she entered.

I shook my hand a bit as I watched her close the front door, pushing it ever so slowly and listening to the soft click of the lock.

"And what are we going to be doing here again?"

I blinked slowly. Hm. I hadn't gotten that far yet. What would we do?

"Actually, I hadn't really thought about that..."

"What do you do for fun then?"

"Well I kind of enjoy video games" I muttered under my breath.

"We'll do that then..."

"Fine" I answered, a bit reluctant."But I'll warn you: you'll never be able to beat me."

"And I should warn you... I absolutely never lose." she shot back, flashing me a mischievous smile.

I rolled my eyes. There was no way she would be able to beat me in anything. Either way, I loved her enthusiasm. It will make it ten times sweeter when she loses.