thirty-one

Everyone is busy on Monday, except Blake, which is why I'm sat in the car with him, just the two of us, on the way to wherever Savannah's Restaurant is. Blake seemed confident that he knew exactly where it was, but I'm pretty sure he's made a few wrong turns already. The drive has been kind of awkward, to say the least. I seriously need to learn how to drive.

I've been too caught up in my head to start a conversation, and Blake isn't the type to bother. At first, I really didn't think I'd go to meet my father. I love him to pieces, but I thought it would be nice to start a new life, any memories of the old life left abandoned in the back of my mind. However, I wasn't stuck in that thought process for long, because as soon as I read the letter for a second time, I knew I couldn't just leave him waiting.

"Your brothers were nice," Blake comments, keeping his eyes on the road.

I stop myself from giving him a weird look. I've heard that from every person in the house now. "Yeah," I breathe.

There's a few more moments of silence. "Have you had any more nosebleeds since the other day?"

"I had one yesterday, but it was nothing," I tell him. I look over to watch him nod his head. "Thanks for helping me, by the way. And for telling me about... everything. I've been thinking about it ever since."

It's true. Occupying the thoughts of Dad's note and meeting him have been constant thoughts of that book I was shown. All those people involved in so many different groups around the world and I had no idea. It's as thrilling as it is terrifying.

I see Blake shrug. "You were going to find out eventually. And you deserve to know."

"What changed your mind about me?" I blurt out before I can stop it.

"What do you mean?" I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or if he genuinely doesn't know.

"Well," I start. "You didn't exactly give me the nicest of welcomes. I mean, yes, you did help me when I was kicked out, but after that it was like... like you hated me. But now it seems like you... don't." I cringe at how slowly I'm speaking, but I still don't know how to talk to him.

"I don't know," he mutters. He thinks for a moment. "I've always been apprehensive with bringing in new people. I guess I've warmed up to you."

I don't believe that's all there is, but before I can say anything else, Blake is turning into the car park of Savannah's Restaurant. I lift my bag up from the footwell and place it onto my lap. "Thanks for the lift," I say genuinely, looking over at Blake.

"It's fine," he says. "And if it gets weird and you want to go home, you can call me."

I nod and give him one last, lingering look. "Bye, Blake."

"Bye Aurora."

I get out of the car and hear him drive away as I walk to the restaurant; a large, modern building with the low, setting sun glinting off the many windows.

I don't see Dad straight away when I step inside. Many of the tables are full of people talking and laughing and the atmosphere lifts a bit of the heaviness from my heart. I step over to the woman who I know is looking at the faded bruises and scars on my face and arms with curiosity, just like everybody does.

"Can I help you?" she asks.

"I'm here to meet someone," I tell her, fingers clutching at my bag strap. "Should be under Redwood?"

Her eyes scan the clipboard in her arms, before she nods her head in a vague direction. "Follow me."

I do so as she leads me through the restaurant. It doesn't look that fancy or expensive but it feels warm and inviting. With the sun dipping low on the horizon, the place has a sort of golden hue and the scent of a variety of hot foods and drinks is prominent as we pass the bar.