Chapter Eighty-Three: Alexandria

Start from the beginning

Beth and I smile, laughing at Olivia's joke. She seems like a good person, and maybe we can be friends with her. Maybe we can help teach her a few things and she can do the same for us. After we leave the pantry, we decide that it's time to head back to our houses and regroup.

"Done so soon?" Daryl asks as we walk up on the porch, each sitting down on one of the rocking chairs.

"Yeah," I shrug. "There aren't too many national landmarks around, just a few."

"You're so funny," he says dryly, which makes me giggle.

"Thanks, I know," I beam and Beth laughs at me. "We went to the pantry and to the armory, to see how it works. It seems easy enough. They have a lot of berry bushes, too. Like a ton."

"That's good," he says, finally putting his crossbow down and looking up at the two of us. "If you don't wash my vest now, I'm gonna put it back on."

"I almost forgot," I smile, knowing he's just being playful and not actually being rude. "Wanna come, Beth?"

"Sure," she shrugs, following me over to mine and Daryl's house. "This is a very pretty house, Bea."

"I know, right?" I smile, still in awe of the place. "Our bedroom is amazing. I never thought any of this would happen. Maybe you were right after all, Beth. Maybe we can have babies and summer picnics and homemade lemonade."

"I'd like to think so," she smiles. She gasps once we walk into the bedroom. "This room is huge, Bea. So much nicer than the one Baxly and I claimed."

"God, I keep forgetting that you're dating my brother," I shake my head. "Maybe we'll be sisters for real one day. Beth Zedler, has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

"No it sounds horrible actually," she laughs, and I do too. "I think we're pretty far away from that, though, so we don't have to worry."

"Well, I thought Daryl and I were too, but look where we are now," I hold up my left hand while I run some water in the sink. I mix some soap into it before dunking his vest in.

Beth and I talk and laugh about life while I wash and dry Daryl's angel wing vest. She also helps me clean up the bathroom from last night when Daryl and I left it in a mess, trying to get to everyone else as fast as possible. We throw the rest of our dirty clothes into an actual washing machine before we leave the house.

"One angel wing vest, squeaky clean," I smile and hand the vest over to my husband. "I didn't even know it was black. I used to think it was gray."

"Ha ha, very funny. You're full of 'em today, aren't you?" He actually smiles at me as he tugs the vest on.

"Yes, when I'm happy I have jokes," I sit down beside of him on the porch. "And I'm trying my best to be happy, Dare. We can be happy here. I know we can."

"Let's hope you're right," he kisses the top of my head.

"Oh, I really hope I'm right. Don't think I'm going to forget about those thirty Dixon babies I was promised."

//////////

Rick made us all sleep in the same house together, again. It was painful, knowing I have a whole house for just Daryl and me but having to stay with Rick anyway. I knew it was for the best, though, so I did it and didn't ask any questions, even when Rick, Carol, and Daryl went out onto the porch to talk in secret, and even when Rick came walking down the stairs in a whole ass police uniform. I just sat at the table and played cards with Maggie, Carl, and Beth.

When morning came, I think I might have been the first one up. I was so excited to be able to be an actual doctor again I couldn't contain myself. Deanna had given Lucas and I each a set of scrubs last night to wear this morning, and I was thrilled.