Chapter Twenty Four

"I can't believe it's New Years Eve already!" Jenny rejoiced as she popped a fry in her mouth. We were having lunch at the diner I used to work at.
     "Yeah it's been a weird year" I laughed. I still can't believe where I've come since this time last year.
     "It's been a great year" she corrected.
     "Yes Jenny, it has been a great year" I rolled my eyes at her correction.
     "Do you know what you're going to wear tonight?"
     "Rachel has some silver sparkly thing picked out for me" I huffed.
     "Why do you let her have her way with this stuff?" Jenny sat back in her chair.
     I shrugged, "I've learned that it's just easier than fighting her."
     She laughed, "that's true! I bet you'll look gorgeous though."
     Now I laughed, "it's hard when standing next to all my model sized friends."
     "Oh shut up, you're cute and petite and you know Andrew's gonna love it no matter what" she argued.
     I blushed, "I hope so."
     "Well I know so!" she concluded.
     "Did I tell you Leah came to the bar on Christmas?" I said quietly as if someone could hear me.
     Jenny sat up in her chair and leaned in closer, "what? What happened?"
     "She missed Andrew, I don't know if she thought she could get him back or what" I explained.
     "What did Andrew do?"
     "He told her he moved on"
     "How did she react?"
     "I don't know I was washing dishes, but she didn't seem happy to see me."
     Jenny laughed, "she never liked you. She kept thinking you and Rachel were trying to steal Andrew away."
     "Wait, why have you never told me this before?" I was surprised.
     She shrugged, "it wasn't important."
     I groaned, "I hate looking back and seeing all the things I missed."
     "Maybe it was for the best. It all worked out this way so you and Andrew could have a real opportunity with each other" she explained.
     I contemplated her explanation for a moment while I pushed my salad around.
     "So what happened after Leah left?" she prodded.
     "We talked a bit, he said some really sweet things in his office and then—" I cut myself off realizing I needed to keep the ending to myself.
     "Then what?" she almost yelled.
     "Um, we went home, the end" I quickly concluded.
     "Casey Rae Miller, in his office?" she gushed. I could feel the redness creep across my face. I looked down to try and hide it, but inevitably failed.
     She sat back in her chair again, "wow."
     "Don't say anything Jenny" I warned.
     She raised her hands in surrender, "I won't. But I gotta ask, how was it?"
     "Amazing actually. It's always amazing" I expressed.
     "I'll be honest, I never thought he had it in him" Jenny laughed.
     "What do you mean?"
     "Leah just always said he was boring, plus we never heard them do anything" she said nonchalantly.
     "First off, ew. And secondly, I just think she didn't appreciate him" I became defensive. Not a single moment Andrew and I have had could be deemed boring. He was so attentive and passionate. He has always handled me with care, but still managed to make me feel like my body was designed specifically for him.
     "I'm not saying she was right" Jenny tried to diffuse the obvious anger I had towards Leah's words.
     "I just hate how she took him for granted sometimes. You know she used to sneak out in the mornings when she stayed the night?" I tried to justify my frustration.
     Jenny smiled, "yeah I remember that."
     "I know you were there, but I'm finding all this stuff out now so it bothers me" I admitted.
     "Hey, I told you he was a great guy. You won't hear me arguing" she sided with me.
     "I'm so happy you're gonna be family" I beamed. Jenny really was like a sister to me. She always talked to me straight and I appreciate her for it.
     "Me too! I just wish we could figure out a date already!" she bounced excitedly.
     "I'm sure you guys will get it settled soon enough" I encouraged her as we both stood up.
     We drove to the mall and walked around a bit so Jenny could find a dress for tonight's party at Lucky's. It's been an annual thing since before Andrew ever worked there. They move out most of the tables and there is lots of dancing and drinking.
     I've been a couple times in the past, but never with a date. Scott was never around for New Years. Granted Andrew will be working, but I'm really looking forward to have someone to kiss when the clock strikes twelve.
     "What do you think of this one?" Jenny held a gold sequined dress up to herself.
     "Ehh, it's a little gaudy" I admitted.
     "Aren't you wearing silver sparkles" she asked, hanging the dress back onto the rack.
     "Yes and it's a little gaudy" I mocked, standing by my opinion.
     She rolled her eyes, "I probably should've invited Rachel."
     "Probably!" I agreed. My idea of a good outfit was jeans and a cute graphic t-shirt.
     "What's Andrew gonna wear?" she asked as she looked through another rack of dresses.
     "His normal clothes I guess"
     "I'm making Caleb wear dress pants. He's not too thrilled" she laughed.
     "I don't mind, Andrew looks good in jeans" I said fondly. He really always looked good no matter what he wore. But in a sea of men who wear skinny jeans, it was attractive that he didn't. It's always been a little weird when a guy wears tighter jeans than I do.
     "Just wait til you guys have been together for five years" she argued.
     "Why?" I stopped searching around and looked directly at her.
     "You know, after you've been together for a while all this lovey-dovey stuff will be gone" she sounded like I should already know that. "Soon it will be all arguing over who ate the last piece of pizza and no sex because the last piece of pizza you stole made you feel bloated."
     "That's terrible relationship advice! Why would anyone want to be in a relationship if that's all they have to look forward to?" I was incredulous.
     "Relax Case, it's normal. It's not like I don't love Caleb. Besides, you were with Scott for nine years, you know what it's like" she explained.
     "I don't, actually" I realized.
     "What do you mean?" she asked as she took a black dress with her into a dressing room. I stood outside her door with my back against the wall.
     "I mean it never felt that way with him. Granted we never lived together longer than a few a months when he stayed with my mom and me after his parents died. But we never got to a point where we weren't excited for each other."
     I looked at my wrist where my tattoo for Scott was. I wonder if we would have made it, I mean if he lived. If we went to college together like we originally planned on, would we still be together today?
     Maybe if I went to Berkeley and he found another great school, we would have found an apartment that meets in the middle. We would fight over the little things, but make up like we always did. I thought about the way his thick hair felt between my fingers and how he would smile whenever I would sing to songs in the car.
     "You okay?" Jenny popped her head out the dressing room.
     "Um yeah, how does the dress fit?" I quickly deflected.
     "Perfectly!" she stepped out and did a quick spin.
     "How are you so tan in December?" I noticed the glow she had.
     "Spray tan" Jenny winked.
     "Well you look amazing Jen!" I complimented. Her blonde wavy hair and bright blue eyes really popped when she wore dark colors.
     We went up to pay for the dress when I noticed the watches in a display case. One specifically caught my eye. It was a matte black stainless steel watch, with roman numerals instead of numbers.
     "Can I please get this watch?" I asked the cashier.
     "What's that for?" Jenny asked while she put her wallet back in her purse.
     "For Andrew, I never did find a gift for him" I explained.
     "I thought you guys weren't doing gifts."
     "Yeah, but he always seems to know exactly what I need when I need it. I just wanna do something for him. And he doesn't have a nice watch so this is perfect!" I beamed.
     "Would you be interested in engraving it?" the cashier asked as she handed me the watch.
     "Really? You can do that?" I smiled.
     "Yes, we sure can" she smiled back.
     "Let's do it!" I exclaimed, happy that I finally found something I can give to the man that gives so much to me.