Chapter Eight

Rachel barged into the apartment, "where is she?" She cried out.
     Dani's acting was almost awe inspiring as she hysterically called Rachel and explained how she came to surprise us and found me passed out on the ground. She told Rachel how she ran to get help from Andrew and he was trying to wake me but it wasn't working.
     Rachel raced to where I was laying on the floor. Andrew sat next to me, pretending to try and wake me. It took more restraint not to react to Andrew's touch, than it did not to smile. Once I heard Rachel sit down next to me, her voice frantic as she tried to wake me as well, I sat up.
     "Hey Rachel, what took you so long?" I said casually and sat back on my hands.
     "What?" She searched Andrew's face for any kind of understanding. He couldn't hold his laughter anymore and Dani and I followed suit.
     "You mean you were pretending?" Rachel loudly exclaimed.
     "Maybe next time don't ditch your best friend next time!" I teased.
     Rachel laughed, "oh that's low Casey!" She turned to Andrew, "and you, I expected better from you."
     Andrew put his hands up in defense, "hey, you were the one bragging to Jenny about ditching her."
     "Aw, I should of known you'd side with her" she yielded.
     "Sorry Rachel, I couldn't pass on the opportunity for a good prank" Dani added.
     Rachel stood up and pulled Dani in for a hug, "girl it's gonna be great having you back!" I looked over at Andrew who was already looking at me. He smiled and stood up, then reached out his hand.
     I didn't take it. The act seemed almost too personal and I wasn't ready for that. I pushed myself off the ground and Andrew dropped his hand.
     "You got her pretty good" he forced a smile, clearly disappointed.
     "Yeah, I don't think she will be ditching me ever again" I added.
     Andrew sighed, "well I'm gonna head home and let you guys catch up. Thanks for tonight Casey. I had fun!"
     "Me too" I replied, looking past him to avoid his gaze.
     "Bye ladies!" he called out to Rachel and Dani who were still catching up. He gave Jack a quick fist bump and left.
     "I'm gonna let you ladies do your thing, I'm going to bed" Jack explained before giving a kiss to Rachel and went to their room. Once he closed the door, Rachel whipped around to me. "Okay spill!"
     "Spill what?" I was confused.
     "Don't play dumb with me Miller, what was Andrew doing here?" she challenged, pointing her finger into my chest.
     "He brought me dinner because my best friend ditched me" I teased.
     "Wait, so are you and Andrew, like a thing?" Dani wondered.
     "What? No!" I said too quickly.
     Rachel rolled her eyes.
     "So if you guys aren't dating, would you care if I try?" Dani raised her brow.
     "Wait, you and Andrew?" Rachel was riveted.
     "Yeah!" Dani responded like we should have known. "Andrew is dreamy, and I know he's one of the good ones."
     "Hmm" Rachel seemed to contemplate that.
     "So, Casey would you mind?" Dani asked.
     "No, I don't mind at all" I answered, trying to make myself believe that I wasn't lying.
     "Really?" Rachel looked at me, "you wouldn't mind?"
     I laughed dryly, "why would I mind? I have no intentions of dating anytime soon" that last part was at least honest.
     "Well okay, cool! So you think he'll go for me?" Dani lowered her voice.
     "I don't know, Rachel tried for a long time. Then she had to settle for Jack" I teased.
     "I did not settle" Rachel defended herself.
     "I'm kidding, you and Jack were made for each other" I assured.
     "Damn right!" Rachel added. "So you're really gonna go for it, huh?" she looked at Dani.
     "Well yeah, I mean Andrew's the kind of guy you settle down with and I'm done dating these boys who can't commit."
     "I don't miss those days" Rachel joked, referring to her many years of not willing to commit.
     I rolled my eyes at her, "well I've had an exhausting day, so if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed!"
     "Aww but I just got here" Dani pouted.
     "Well some of us have to work in the morning" I said and hugged Dani one more time. "I'm happy you're back Dani!"
     "Goodnight Casey!" both Dani and Rachel chorused.
     I smiled as I went into my room. Today was a good day. My mom was right about letting people back into my life. I know I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in pain, and for once I can finally see the light at the end of that tunnel. I replayed the little moments throughout my day while I showered and got ready to go to sleep. Lola curled up with me on my bed and for the first time in a long time, I fell asleep quickly.