Chapter Seven

"Rachel Marie Gordon, you said you would help me with these centerpieces!" I yelled out as she curled up with Jack on the couch.
     Our kitchen table was covered in mason jars, ribbon and glitter. I told my mom not to worry about the decorations and invitations, I would handle it. Apparently, I was way in over my head because we only had a month before the big day and I still had so much left to do.
     "I'm hungry!" she wailed as she dragged herself over to the table.
     "I'm hungry too, but you don't hear me complaining!" I sounded just like my mom.
     "Ugh" Rachel sat down a picked up a hot glue gun. "You're so bossy" she pouted. I laughed at her immature behavior. Ever since I opened up to Rachel about what I was going through, we seemed to be closer than ever. She beamed when I told her about my talk with Andrew later that night.
     I am still keeping my distance with Andrew, and our conversations are very short, but at least I'm not avoiding him completely and that felt like progress. My stomach started grumbling, breaking me from my focus on the bow I was trying to make.
     "Tell you what, I'll go pick up food and bring some back for the both of us" Rachel offered. I was about to argue when my stomach growled again.
     "It's settled!" she exclaimed with a smile. "C'mon babe let's go get dinner!"
     "Just don't take too long Rachel!" I yelled after her. I continued to work while I waited for them to get back. No sense in getting behind.
     After thirty minutes, I texted to see where she was, but she didn't respond. I called but it went to voicemail.
     "Rachel this is the third time I'm calling, where are you?" I yelled into the phone. I tried to keep working but my hands were so shaky I stopped. I searched the cupboard for something quick to settle myself, and went for saltine crackers.
     I handed Lola one and she ran off with it to her bed. I laughed as I started munching on the saltines, happy to be eating something.
     Finally the front door opened.
     "It's about time—" I stopped when I saw Andrew coming in instead of Rachel. I froze, a habit I still can't seem to break every time he shows up.
     "Hey" he smiled, "I brought food" he held up a white bag.
     "Oh" I looked at my crackers, the smell of the food Andrew brought made them less appealing than they were a minute ago. He walked past me, over to the counter and set the food down.
     "Where's Rachel?" I asked, still standing in place.
     "Her and Jack are at the bar" he answered while removing styrofoam containers from the bag. "Eat!" he gestured to the food.
     "But why did she send you?" I didn't move.
     "Uh well, she didn't" he responded vaguely and gestured to the food again.
     "So why are you here? With food?"
     Andrew shrugged, "I may have heard Rachel tell Jenny all about how she found a way out of helping you tonight."
     "Ugh, I'm going to get her back for this!" I cursed.
     "Well you can do that after you eat" he walked over and gently pushed me towards the food. I suppressed the chills his hands on my back gave me. I sat down on the bar stool and opened one of the containers.
     "Mmm" I sounded as the smell of orange chicken and fried rice wafted towards me. "Chinese?" I asked, knowing it's not exactly something he serves at the bar.
     "Yeah, I didn't know what you liked so I got a few different things" he pointed to the other two containers.
     "This is good, thank you" I grabbed the chop sticks from the bag.
     "You're welcome" he smiled. "I'll let you eat" Andrew turned to the door.
     "Um" I started, and he turned back around to face me. I looked past him, my new way of talking to Andrew without looking into his eyes.
     "Do you want to stay?" I asked nervously, not really sure I should of asked and almost positive I'm going to regret this.
     "Uh, are you sure?" he tried not to smile, but his dimples gave him away.
     "No" I confessed, "but you did bring a lot of food." He laughed to himself and sat down next to me, grabbing one of the containers and a pair of chop sticks.
     I broke my chopsticks and tried to my best to scoop the fried rice but failed every time. So I tried to grab a piece of orange chicken, but still managed to drop it. Finally, I stabbed a piece of chicken with one of the chop sticks and ate it.
     Andrew laughed, "that's one way to do it!"
     "I don't understand why people use these things when you can you use a fork" I complained.
     "You're only saying that because you don't know how to use them" he said and picked up a scoop of the fried rice.
     "Well now you're just showing off" I teased.
     "Here I'll show you" he held out his chop sticks. "You have to hold them like this."
     I copied him, and held up the sticks.
     "Uh, no like— you gotta— here let me show you." He placed his hand on mine, and I reflexively pulled back.
     "Um, here" he ignored my reaction and reached for my hand again, this time I let him. I held my breath as his body was inches from mine.
     "So, this finger holds it like this, and this one like this" he said softly as he arranged the chopsticks in my hand.
     "Okay" my voice was thick.
     "Now you grab the food like this" he continued his lesson by guiding my had to the rice. I scooped it up and brought it to my mouth.
     "I did it!" I cheered after I swallowed my bite.
     "Not so bad now, right?"
     "I think I'd still prefer a fork" I smiled as grabbed a piece of chicken.
     We didn't say much more as we finished eating. I think Andrew may still be worried about pushing me away. I wouldn't blame him, I'm still not ready to open up to him too much. But I can't lie, it's always so easy to be comfortable around Andrew, I can feel my self slipping backwards.
     Lola began scratching at the door signaling that she needed to go out. I grabbed her leash and hooked it to her collar while Andrew was putting the left over food in the refrigerator. "I'm gonna take her out" I stated.
     "Okay yeah, well thank you for dinner, or I mean thank you for having dinner with me" he said awkwardly, his hands now in his pockets as he rocked back and forth on his heels.
     I smiled and looked down at Lola. His awkwardness was way too endearing. "Thanks for the food and for teaching me how to use chopsticks."
     Andrew opened the door and held it open for me. He started towards the parking lot I don't know what came over me, but the idea of him walking away didn't sit well with me.
     "Did you wanna walk with us?" I whispered, almost hoping he wouldn't hear. Apparently, I have a masochistic side I didn't know about until Andrew. I knew the risk, but once I opened the door back up to him, I was quickly loosing my self control.
     Andrew turned around and tried to hide his smile again, his hands were in his jean pockets like he does every time he feels nervous. The glow of tonight's sunset made him look angelic as he walked back to me and Lola.
     I looked away and started walking. The air was crisp and the small breeze felt cleansing. I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath, inhaling the the fresh air.
     "You like the cold?" Andrew asked.
     "Mmhmm" I sounded as Lola stopped to sniff around a tree.  Andrew looked like he was about to say something when he stopped to look past me.
     "Casey!!" I heard Dani's voice squeal.
     "Dani? What are you doing here?" I exclaimed once I faced her.
     She ran up and pulled me into a big hug, "ugh what's it been like a year?"
     "Something like that!" we pulled away and Dani hugged Andrew next.
     "Andrew! Looking handsome as ever!" she complimented.
     Andrew blushed, "hey Dani how have you been?"
     "I'm great actually! I just moved back" she announced.
     "Congratulations!" Andrew and I said in unison. We both smiled and looked away.
     "Yeah, I was done working for my dad. I found a great job, just ten minutes from here" she went on to explain.
     "So wait, where are you living?" I asked, praying Rachel didn't offer her our place. Jack already eats everything in sight.
     "The apartments across the street, so we are neighbors. Can you believe it?"
     "That's great Dani! We've missed you!" I hugged her again. Her excitement for everything was always so contagious.
     "Where's Rachel? I can't wait to surprise her!"
     "Actually, I have an idea" I pulled Dani in closer. Rachel wants to ditch me, then I am going to have to get even.
     "How do you feel about revenge?" I asked vaguely.
     Andrew's eyes lit up in surprise, and Dani giggled maniacally as we forged a plan to get back at my best friend.