Chapter Nine

(Draco Malfoy)

I was up at five o'clock in the morning. I had wanted to be up early but I hadn't expected this. I might as well get up then. I  got out of bed and did my hair, it took me quite a while - longer than usual because I wanted to get it perfect and make it last all day. Once I was done I got changed and grabbed the note off my dresser. I also got a bag of owl treats because I wanted to make sure that this note got delivered. I ran up the stairs to the owlery, I needed to be fast because it was cold up here. When I eventually found Harry's owl I put the note on her leg. She seemed skeptical until I got out the treats and fed her half of the bag. I hoped Harry wouldn't mind too much.

I raced back to my room and grabbed a book, it was still ridiculously early but I wanted to make sure I was there before Harry. As suspected, I was the only person in there apart from a few studious Ravenclaws. I had only read a few chapters when Harry came in, it was still early so I wondered if he was sleeping okay. I made a mental note to ask him about it later. 

We seemed to sit there for hours, swapping between staring at each other and me reading, Harry staring into his porridge. Eventually, other people started to make their way in - Harry and my friends included. This meant that the post was due pretty soon. I started to overthink things at this point. Should I have sent it? We didn't even have an official relationship yet. That could be my excuse for today. I asked him to come so we could talk. Yes.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I nearly missed the owls swooping down to deliver the mail for the day. I watched the snowy owl glide down next to Harry and nip his hand affectionately. He seemed surprised to be getting mail which I took as a good sign. He took the note off the owl and prised it open. He read it, taking his time. Then he looked over at me, smiled, and mouthed "Okay."