Chapter 76, Ichiko Uchiha and The Token of Affection

Start from the beginning

When they caught up with each other, Fugaku had said in disbelief, "I can't believe we're getting our headbands today".

"Yeah", she replied, although deep down she felt very indifferent towards the idea.

Little things would make her happy from time to time, but she couldn't help feeling like she was a letdown of some sort.

Along the way to the Academy, Fugaku wouldn't stop telling her about how he wants to get stronger when he grows up. Ichiko would nod and reply curtly from time to time. She'd involuntarily crack out a laugh at some of his jokes, which would encroach Fugaku's heart with happiness.

"I don't doubt your abilities, Fugaku", Ichiko remarked with a genuine smile, making ten-year-old Fugaku's cheeks tinted with a tomato hue.

At the Academy, a banner has been put up, congratulating the newly reformed Genin. Ichiko had smiled to herself then, knowing that she's already excelling in her training.

She'd rival her abilities to that of the blonde haired Namikaze, which she and Fugaku grew close to. Upon remembering him, Hayate Namikaze appeared out of nowhere, making Ichiko flinch.

"Goodness Hayate, can't you be a little more discreet?", Ichiko complained, her hand on her chest as she took in the sight of his blue eyes.

"S-sorry", he attempted, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

Ichiko realized that he'd used the Teleportation Technique when she looked down at her feet, where the tip of a kunai was buried.

She'd looked back at him only realize how close their faces were. They caught sight of each other's eyes, before their faces burned crimson red.

"Ichiko's just being a scaredy cat as usual", Fugaku remarked to Hayate, a smug grin on his face.

"Well I don't think that she'd be able to graduate if she was a scaredy cat", Hayate was still looking in her eyes with a smile as he said this.

Ichiko's insides churned at his remark and all she could do in response to his cheesiness was raise her hand and flick him nonchalantly in the forehead.

"Ouch", Hayate stepped away while clutching his now red forehead, "that hurt".

"It might leave a mark", Fugaku remarked, to which Ichiko replied, "the headband will cover it up anyways, so there's no need to whine Hayate", she shrugged off and gestured for them to follow her inside the Academy.

Hiruzen Sarutobi, The Third Hokage was present onstage, congratulating the new generation of the Leaf Village with a bright smile on his face.

Ichiko, Hayate, and Fugaku stood out from the rest. The more she looked around, the more she saw parents with their children. Which was something that they completely couldn't relate to.

***

"Congratulations to us!", Hayate and Fugaku high-fived each other as Ichiko pinched both of their ears suddenly, pulling them close.

"Now, you two knuckleheads, we are now Genin, you better act accordingly. Understand?", she stressed on each word as the two of them squirmed in pain.