Namjoon: autism

Request by M111anna

————

Namjoon had always been different from most people. From a young age, he kept to himself, in his own little world rather than socialising with other people his age. It carried on with him all through his teenage years and now his adulthood. He never understood the attraction to have a load of friends. If there were too many people, Namjoon got confused. All of the different emotions that he just couldn't understand.

If this happened to a child now, they would most likely be taken to the doctors as these were all headers to a neurological condition. However, when Namjoon grew up, there was a strong stigma to these conditions. His parents would have hated to have a child who wasn't a typical child.

Because of this factor, Namjoon was forced to grow up with everything that went on in his brain. He learned how to deal with everything in his own way. But things were still hard for him to deal with. The anxiety brought on with disturbed routines. It didn't help that his job made his schedule changed every day. He got stressed out more than not.

With being 26, Namjoon had learned to cope with things quite well, despite the days that he would feel worked up and stressed out. However, no matter how long he had to deal with things there was always the factor that he would deal with the stressful day. Quite similar to other mental disorders that people had. There would always be the off day.

*

Namjoon sat in his room, reading a book that he had read plenty of times beforehand. He enjoyed the satisfaction of recapping his knowledge. It probably didn't make much sense to others, but it made sense to Namjoon and that's all that mattered.

While sat, he wore his favourite hoodie. He had been wearing it for a week straight. There was something about this hoodie that made him feel calm. The material and colour, it made him feel safe. He wore it for everything. Dance practice, leisure time. Some days he even wore it to bed.

As he was in the middle of a page, he was interrupted by a knock at the door. He looked up to see that it was Yoongi. He held a basket in his arm full of dirty clothes. It must have been his turn to do the washing. With the seven of them living in the same capacity, they took turns doing different jobs. This included things from cooking to washing.

"Hey Namjoon, can I borrow that hoodie so I can wash it?" He asked as he pointed to the jacket that he was wearing. Namjoon just simply wasn't ready for it to be washed. It was his clothing so shouldn't he have the rule of when it should be washed.

"But I'm wearing it," Namjoon said, slight confusion as an undertone of his voice. He had his dirty clothes in the basket in the corner of his room. Wouldn't it be common sense to take that rather than the things he was wearing?

"What do you mean why? You have worn it for three weeks straight. It's basic hygiene Namjoon. This is the last wash till next week, I can't wait any longer to wash it for you." Despite Yoongi well explanation of the situation, Namjoon still protested as he just couldn't get his head around it.

"Hyung, I'm wearing it now though." He said, determined to stick on his ground and keep his hoodie with him. Namjoon was smart and did understand the concept of hygiene from a young age. However, there wasn't another hoodie that he owned which offered the same amount of satisfaction and comfort as this.

"Can't you just wear another hoodie? You have like six in your wardrobe. If you want this hoodie you can have it in in two hours when it's been washed." Yoongi explained further. Of course with the difference in how their minds worked, Namjoon couldn't understand where Yoongi was coming from and vice versa.