Twenty One

A few days passed by and Effie was still staying at the manor, not that she had much of a choice. She spent mostly all her time cooped up in Malfoy's room trying to avoid her estranged mother until she actually knew what to say to her.

The sun was shining brighter than ever today, the birds were chirping outside, the cool breeze aired through the open window, Effie decided it was too nice of a day to be locked up inside herself— Malfoy had been doing a lot of 'work' with his father.

She got dressed— throwing on just a hoodie and shorts and walked over to the massive bookshelf in Draco's room, looking for a book that caught her eye more than the others, but out of all the books that were there, only one in particular caught her eye, The Tales of Beedle and The Bard. The book Snape had bought her for her Christmas a few years back, she'd never actually taken the time to read it, what with always being busy studying.

She grabbed the book and headed downstairs to sit outside in the back garden.

It was stunning, you could fit a whole other Malfoy Manor in this garden, for people who dressed in all black clothes and walked around with a personality that matched death, you would have never have expected them to have beautiful colourful flowers, or hedges cut in the shapes of magical creatures, there was even a fountain.

There was a small bench in the middle of the garden, a spot that just caught the sun perfectly, Effie took a seat and opened the book in hand.

She understood why this was one of Severus's favourites, the stories just made the magical world seem so much better than what it actually was.

No Dark Lord, no death eaters.

"That was one of my favourites when I was your age." Effie snapped her head up out of the book to see her mother sitting on the opposite side of the bench.

"I know, the tale of the three brothers. Severus told me. You know when we thought you were dea—"

"That's enough Effie." Her mother snapped, almost as if she couldn't possibly stomach another dig from her daughter.

"You can't tell me what to do, you lost that right a long time ago." Effie replied sternly.

Her mother leaned back against the bench, letting out a loud sigh, her eyes seemed to be filling up with water but she was trying to hold it back.

"Look. I don't know what you've been through, and that's no one else's fault but mine, because I wasn't there." Rosalie admitted. "But don't tell me you don't think there is the slightest chance that you and I could have a relationship, we could make up for lost time my darling. It doesn't all have to be bad." She reached over and cupped Effie's cheek, wiping away a stray tear that fell from the young girls eye.

"You— you just left me. How can I possibly forgive you for that?" Effie cried.

"You can try." Her mother pleaded. "I know your angry, but what is anger going to do? We could build a relationship Elizabeth, a good one? We could be a family—"

"Who?" Effie scoffed. "You me and old Voldemort? Why are you with him mother? What do you see in him? He's a horrible man. You left my father, who was already bad enough, and found someone even worse"

Her mother was taken back for a second, as this was the first time that the girl had labelled her as her mother since they met a few days ago.

"He looked after me, when I left your father. He took me in, gave me a home, gave me a job, he loved me when no one else did. He's not as bad as everyone thinks. He takes care of his family, he is only bad to people who are bad to him, I'm begging you sweetheart, just give him a chance. Give me a chance." Rosalie pleaded, the tears now falling from her eyes, looking at the woman she was filled with guilt and regret.