Chapter 24 - Friendly Warning

Start from the beginning

"I see you are back, all in once piece!" She giggled, as if she had cracked a joke. "Have you seen Jack?"

Her bright expectant smile made me nauseous and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her falseness. "He's in a meeting with the Alpha." I sighed, pushing my hair behind my ears.

As I did so, I saw Shelby's eyes drop to my neck and go wide. Her usually carefully maintained expression forgotten, as her jaw dropped open. "You've been marked?"

Shit. I had forgotten about that.

I flicked my hair forwards to cover the bruised imprint of Jack's canines.

When I didn't answer, Shelby moved closer, lowering her voice. "Did they do that to you? Are you ok?"

She actually sounded concerned. I'd find it sweet if I wasn't so irritated to be linked to 'them'.

I shuddered at the idea that Drake could have marked me should he have wished.

"No!" I found myself blurting, choosing truth over that particularly hideous rumour. "I... Found my mate." I blushed as I spoke. But was proud of myself for doing what so many seemed to be unable to.

Tell the truth. Even when it is hard.

Shelby's eyes lit with the promise of gossip and she moved ever closer. The sickly, sweet odour of her perfume engulfing me whole. "So... Come on then, don't leave me hanging! Who is the lucky pup?"

At twenty-five, Shelby was much closer in age to Jack than I was, but that certainly didn't mean that she was old enough to call me or my age group, pups.

I regarded her coolly. Resisting the urge to smirk. "Well, the funny thing is... It's Jack."

I watched, amused, as her jaw became slack again.

I took great joy in continuing to babble pleasantly. "It was such a surprise. I guess it was a delayed reaction! The Moon-Goddess must have been having some fun with us!"

The light tone of my voice hid my internal glee as I watched the emotions flit across Shelby's face.

Sick, confused, sadness, but then finally... a smile?

She pulled me into a bone crushing, overly scented hug and grinned as she pulled away. "I'm so happy for you guys! Don't get me wrong... I was hoping for a bit of Jack myself, but..." She trailed off with a twinkle in her eye. "I'm glad you found each other."

It was my turn to stand in shock as she tottered away with one last wave and bright smile.

I hadn't expected that.

Maybe I was the bitch after all.

I was still recovering when Kyle sidled up, a shy smile on his lips. "Hey Charlie, I'm so glad you're ok!" He chewed his lips for a second, face turning pink. "Did I just hear you say that you and Jack are mates?"

I flushed, realising that the secret was well and truly out.

"Eeww, no way! You were like five when he met you. That's gross!" Holly disgusted voice sounded behind us and my flush darkened.

Great.

Taking a deep breath, I ripped off the band-aid and quickly explained. Feeling Holly engulf me in a hug as I began.

She was still clinging on as I finished, and I peeped down at her. "Hol?"

Kyle chuckled, pulling at Holly's arm. "She seems fine, Holly. Let her breath."

Holly snorted. "Mated to Jack? I'd say she's more than fine." She allowed him to pull her away but grinned at me cheekily. "That man has the power of a torpedo."

I spluttered into laughter and so did Holly. Leaving a confused Kyle to look on concerned. "Did I miss something?" He asked awkwardly.

"Yeah, what's funny?" Jack's deep velvety voice joined the mix, and Holly and I set off again, holding our sides and clinging to each other as tears ran down our faces.

The two men glanced at each other in bewilderment.

"No idea." Kyle shrugged, before holding out a hand to Jack. "Congratulations, man. Charlie just told us."

Jack's midnight gaze found mine, a delicious heat in their depths. "Did she now?"

I fought another blush.

Kyle shifted awkwardly. "Uh... Jack? I know you guys are mates... and I'm sure you would never... but I think of Charlie like a sister, so... please don't hurt her." The words tumbled out quickly as a blush stained his pale cheeks.

He shoved his glasses up his nose awkwardly but kept his gaze on Jack.

I gaped. This really wasn't like Kyle.

"Like you'd be able to do anything even if he did hurt her!" Holly snorted, her giggles stopping when she saw the frown on Jack's face.

He smiled down at Kyle, clapping a hand on his shoulder, making the smaller man jerk slightly. "You got it."

Winking at me, Jack sauntered past, heading into the café a few meters away.

Kyle looked a little stunned, but proud of himself. Sending a self-satisfied smirk at Holly as he waved us goodbye.

We were barely alone again before Holly was glued back to my side, peppering me with questions and repeatedly asking how I was.

It was going to be a long day – and she hadn't found out about Julian yet.