Chapter 23 - Honest Hearts

Start from the beginning

The sharp 'v' of his hips had light blue veins showing through his pale skin.

We had been beneath the sheets as we made love the night before and I realised with some excitement that I still had a lot to see and enjoy.

My anticipatory grin died on my lips as my eyes met Jack's midnight gaze. "We need to go see the Alpha... Now. We should be the ones to tell him about us."

All of the sexual energy in me died in an instant at that cringy thought.

Sullenly, I nodded. I knew he was right.

Jack threw on his t-shirt and we left immediately.

Pack gossip worked quickly and there would be worse repercussions if we weren't the one's to break the news.

Jack was silent as we walked. Dark brows drawn together in thought.

It was still early, and the halls of the Pack house were empty, save for our echoing footsteps.

I wanted to ask who had been looking for him, but Jack didn't seem like he wanted to chat.

As we rounded the last corner, the Alpha's office came into view.

The contrast of my last visit, to this, was so bizarre it was almost laughable.

No longer did I have the nervous energy, born from a misjudged reverence for a someone I didn't know.

Now, I just felt an aching disdain for the man that was apparently my father. I struggled to put aside the honorific I had known him by my whole life, in exchange for a much more personal one that he didn't deserve.

The only thing unchanged, was my respect for his leadership as Alpha. He had been a good and wise leader, despite failings in his personal life.

Our knock was answered instantly with a gruff bark of "enter".

Jack gave me a small smile, before leading the way in and pulling out a chair for me to sit.

With only one chair in front of the Alpha's large desk, Jack stood by my side. A large hand resting on the back of my seat.

The moment that we entered the room, the Alpha's nostril's flared. A hard, knowing shadow in his silver gaze.

I lifted my chin, refusing to be shamed by a man that had done exactly the same with my own mother, almost two decades past. In fact, his transgressions were worse, as she was not his mate.

Jaw clenched, the Alpha leaned back in his seat, folding his arms. "I am glad to see you doing better Charlie."

The softness in his voice took me off guard and I bowed my head in respect. "My thanks, Alpha."

A flicker of sadness passed through his gaze, but he nodded. "Let us not pretend that we don't all know why you are here." His powerful gaze flicked between us.

"Jules..." Jack began, only to be silenced when the Alpha raised his hand.

"No need, Jack. I may be an old fool, but my senses are still intact. You both reek of each other and even a simple man would have no trouble understanding the meaning of that." His gaze was still hard upon us, a frown creasing his brow.

The Alpha looked tired, more tired than I had ever seen him, and it made him look much older than his years.

"Yesterday was a long overdue exposure of the wrongs that I have done. The world has not been the same since my father left the Pack. My failings have only exacerbated the issue." Distractedly, he picked up the phone on his desk and typed a quick message.