engagement

*fast forward to next week @ perries birthday party*

All 5 of the boys were forced to go to perrie's birthday party to make for good press, but Harry was sick at the idea.

Niall: "c'mon get dressed, we only have 15 minutes"

Harry: "I told you. I'm not fucking going."

Niall: "we have to haz, you can't show Z you're still mad."

Harry: "he knows I am. he sees me every single day."

Niall: "please, I won't leave your side. And I promise I'll get you drunk as fuck."

Harry: "fine, but only for a few hours then I'm out."

Niall: "deal."

Harry rushed to get changed into a pair of simple black skinny jeans and a white T shirt. He didn't care what he looked like honestly.

Niall: "ready?"

Harry: "no but I'm going aren't I?"

Niall: "that's all I ask"

They drove separately, since Liam and Louis had left already and Zayn was out getting stuff for the engagement that Harry still had no idea about.

He kept trying to figure out a place and time to tell him before tonight, but there was no time and he didn't wanna make matters worse than they already were.

Niall: "just stay with me and we'll be fine"

They pulled up to the venue where her party was being held and there were so many flashing cameras they swore they went blind.

Harry: "I already wanna go home"

Niall: "bar, come on"

Niall got Harry drunk as fuck within the first hour, and they were chilling in the back corner when they saw Zayn finally get there.

Harry: "he looks so damn good...I want a piece"

Niall: "go get him"

Harry: "no, he's busy"

Niall: "doing what?"

Harry: "this is his girlfriends birthday party Niall...remember?"

Niall: "unfortunately I do"

Another half hour passed before the entire building got silent and Niall and Harry stood up reluctantly wondering what was going on.

A circle was forming in the center of the bar and when Harry stood on a chair to see what was happening he saw Zayn on one knee.

Harry: "you...you can't be serious..."

He closed his eyes and took the deepest breath, holding in his tears while they were in the crowd of people.

Zayn: "you're the best girlfriend ever, and I wanna keep this going...us going forever. Will you marry me pez?"

She shot up and wrapped her arms around his neck kissing him deeply. He kissed her back, and it looked like he wanted it.

Niall: "haz..."

Harry: "no, I'm going back to the hotel. I can't be here."

Niall: "let me come"

Harry: "no, I already booked the Uber. I have to go before I do something bad."

Harry jumped off the chair and ran outside, pulling himself into the Uber that was waiting for him. It took him back to the hotel, and instead of going to his room, he made a b line to the back. A private beach that looked almost vacant. It was chilly, but he didn't mind the goosebumps as he sat in the sand and buried his feet deep.

Niall watched him run out but let him go. He knew this wasn't gonna end well, and from the look on Harry's face he clearly had no idea it was happening.

Immediately after the engagement cooled off Niall saw Zayn coming straight toward him through the crowd.

Zayn: "where is he?!"

Niall: "he left Zayn...you thought he'd stay after that?!"

Zayn: "I tried to tell him before but he wouldn't even look at me!"

Niall: "because his heart is broken."

Zayn: "and I wanna fix it"

Niall: "I can guarantee he's not gonna let you fix it after he saw you on one knee in front of someone that wasn't him Z."

Zayn: "I had to. She was threatening to expose us!"

Niall: "okay...I understand that but, was it worth losing him? Entirely?"

Zayn: "I guess...no. Not at all actually."

Niall: "he's long gone, he said he went back to the hotel and he wouldn't let me come with...I dunno if that's where he really went but I'd leave him alone for now."

Zayn: "fuck!"

He sat down on the chair that Harry was previously standing on and rested his elbows on his knees. Tears were threatening to spill from his eyes but he didn't let them.

Zayn: "what the fuck do I do Ni?!"

Niall: "Let him cool off Zayn, he's fucked up, bad. Then try to talk to him. Until then, just play it cool and show him you care from a distance. And do not act cold hearted."

He just nodded, heading back into the crowd with a fake smile plastered on his face.

Back at the hotel Harry's head was spinning. He'd had a lot of alcohol, and he was now laying down in the sand. He didn't mind how dirty he'd end up, he just felt comfortable with the cold texture beneath him.

He wondered if it would be alright to stay out there all night. It made him feel okay.

Harry: "dear god...can you uh...keep an eye on him for me? I don't wanna be a part of something toxic anymore. If I can't have him for myself, I don't want him at all. But that doesn't mean I don't love him dearly. Just look out for him while I figure this out. Amen."

He opened his eyes and traced the constellations with his pointer finger, relaxing deeper into the sand, until he felt himself start to doze off. He didn't fight it, he needed sleep more than anything, so he let himself fall into the relaxation he needed, letting the pain from his broken heart ease as he slept.

Back at the party, Zayn had escaped outside to smoke, and he couldn't resist not texting him anymore. It had been a week since they spoke at all and it was killing him.

Zayn: "Harry?"

Zayn: "where are you?"

Zayn: "baby please"

Zayn: "I'm so fucking sorry, she made me"

Zayn: "I want you"

Zayn: "I need you haz please babe"

Zayn: "I miss you, I wanna cuddle you and hold you until you know how much I love you bub."

Zayn: "you'll never be second place baby I promise."

Zayn: "please call me...or text me...anything."

Zayn: "I love u."

Zayn: "so much."