nighttime

By the time Harry had finished up, his voice was strained and he was beat. It was around 10 p.m. and thankfully recording took some of the anxiety off of him for the time being.

He took a deep breath, checking down to see that Zayn hadn't responded to his text. He hadn't even read it. It made his stomach sink.

He didn't wanna make it noticeable to anyone in the lobby or any fans who tried to stop him for a picture, but he rushed upstairs as fast as he could to see if Zayn had gotten back.

He slid the key in and opened the door slowly. At first there was no sign of him, but when he took a closer look he saw his lean figure out on the balcony.

He didn't wanna scare him. He really didn't even know what to say to him, but he knew he needed to say something.

He stood in the open doorway to the balcony, Zayn's back to him as if he still didn't hear him.

Harry: "babe?"

Zayn: "hmm?"

Harry: "you came back."

Zayn: "I told you I would"

Harry: "did you cool off?"

Zayn: "I did yeah, but then I saw this..."

Harry glanced down at Zayn's hand. It was holding the half smoked cigarette that Harry put out a few hours ago.

His back was still facing him, but Harry was straight faced. He had no idea what to say.

Harry: "I was just stressed"

Zayn: "where'd you even get this?"

Harry: "I always have an extra pack, just in case you need it"

Zayn just nodded.

Harry: "I only smoked half of it"

Zayn: "you promised me you wouldn't get into this habit because of me Harry."

He turned around, his eyes looked red and puffy like he'd been crying too.

Harry: "I didn't even smoke the whole thing Z...don't start again please. I can't take it."

Zayn: "can't take what?"

Harry: "the fighting. I don't wanna watch you walk away from me again, you know how much that hurt?!"

Zayn: "you know how much it hurt when you wanted to pick our shitty ass management over us?!"

Harry: "I never chose, you just assumed before I answered!"

Zayn: "you didn't have to say anything, your hesitation was enough."

Harry took a deep breath, realizing that this argument would get them nowhere but in the same predicament they were in a few hours ago.

Harry: "I'd never pick anything over us...it hurts to know that you think I would."

Zayn: "Harry, when I asked you earlier you didn't answer me. It shouldn't have been something to think about cause for me, it's never even been a question."

Harry: "I get it, but this is my dream. All of this. Having you included. I don't wanna lose any of it."

Zayn: "babe without you, none of these fuckers would have their job to begin with, so fuck what they want. It's not their choice."

Harry: "I don't wanna fight anymore"

Zayn: "I don't either"

Harry: "I missed you, I just want you to hold me. No more fighting okay?"