talk

By the time they woke up in the morning they were in a brand new city, brand new venue, and a brand new show was on the horizon.

Harry stirred first, like always, but the space in the bunk being limited didn't give him much room to move without waking Zayn with him.

Zayn: "morning babe"

Harry smiled and couldn't resist the urge to share their first morning kiss. So with Zayn's eyes still shut, Harry pressed a kiss to his lips and after realizing what was happening Zayn kissed back to match Harry's effort.

Zayn: "I'll take that as a good morning then"

Harry: "open your eyes, I wanna talk"

Zayn's eyes opened little by little, trying to adjust to the light despite how dark it actually was around them.

Zayn: "mkay, tell me everything"

Harry sighed remembering how annoyed Louis was over their relationship, even though he egged it on in the beginning, but he pushed the thoughts away, needing to find words.

Harry: "I was upset last night"

Zayn: "mhm, I noticed"

Harry: "cause Louis just won't stop, and I don't want you to have to deal with it anymore."

Zayn: "haz, I don't care. I don't give a flying fuck what he thinks and we both know that. I just wanna make sure that you're okay, and with him putting you in the middle of something that doesn't even need to be an argument, I feel the need to step in."

Harry: "no, it's just...I dunno, I feel bad because I know what it's like to have feelings for someone who doesn't love you back and it sucks. I mean I...I don't have sympathy for him but at the same time, it's not easy to get over someone"

Zayn: "giving him grace isn't gonna get his dick in his pants and him away from you...you know that right?"

Harry: "this is what I mean!"

Harry got up but before he could storm away Zayn pulled him back into the bunk.

Zayn: "you're not gonna walk away, that's a bad habit and we need to finish this."

Harry: "fine"

Zayn: "I'm not trying to make it worse babe"

Harry: "I understand that, but I have a lot more empathy than you do, especially when it comes to this stuff. I just feel bad."

Zayn: "for being with me?"

Harry: "fuck no Zayn, and you know that"

Zayn: "well then tell me what makes you feel so guilty?"

Harry: "before you told me you had feelings, I did. Way before you said anything, it was always you. But I thought you were straight as a board and there was no way I'd reel you in. Seeing you love up on Perrie when your relationship was real hurt so bad. I understand where he's at and that's why I have sympathy. Because in the end I got what I wanted but he's not gonna and I feel terrible that I'm the one breaking his heart."

Zayn took a deep breath and grabbed Harry's hands, finally able to understand where he was coming from.

Zayn: "...I guess I never thought of it like that"

Harry: "and I'm not trying to make the position your in seem any less horrible, because seeing someone else completely infatuated with someone who's yours...I know it's not ideal baby. But I just hope you can see the kind of position I'm in too yeah?"

Zayn: "I do Harry, and I'm sorry I ever made it a bigger deal than it was. I just...I don't wanna lose you because someone else is still in love with you."

Harry: "you won't, and you never have to worry about that alright? I'm gonna have a talk to Louis and make sure we're on the same page before the show, will that put your mind at ease a bit?"

Zayn: "yeah, but if you need me don't hesitate-

Harry: "I'm a big boy z"

Zayn smiled and took a step back realized how protective he'd gotten over someone he's known for so long.

Zayn: "I guess we should get ready then yeah?"

Harry: "seems that way"

The boys were all rushed off the bus once they got their main hygiene deeds done for the morning. They got ready in the dressing room for the pre show warmups and got their outfits picked out for the show later.

When they had the smallest bit of downtime after lunch and before soundcheck Harry knew it was time to have a chat with Louis.

Harry: "hey Lou, wanna go for a walk"

Zayn didn't like the way that sounded but, he knew why Harry was doing it and in the end it was ultimately for Zayn, so he let him go.

But before Harry left the room to meet Louis in the hall he grabbed Zayns arm and pulled him close.

Harry: "won't be long okay?"

Zayn: "You're fine babe, get it all cleared up"

Harry: "kiss"

Zayn smiled and pressed their lips together quickly before he watched Harry walk out the door and shut it gently behind him.

He and Louis walked down the hallway together, far enough apart that the two of them felt comfortable but, close enough to hear one another over the band getting set up.

Louis: "what's up?"

Harry: "I wanna talk this out before the show"

Louis: "what's there to talk about?"

Harry: "I don't want you to think that I'm disregarding your feelings because I'm not"

Louis: "it looks different from all angles"

Harry: "all I'm saying is, I get how you're feeling. I felt the same way before. Falling in love with someone who doesn't want you is heart wrenching and I know that. But I just don't want there to be any hard feelings"

Louis: "there isn't, I'm glad you and Zayn are happy, as much pain as it causes me. I'll find someone haz, it's fine."

Harry: "but it makes me feel terrible"

Louis: "it's not your fault, you just found your person before I did...simple as that"

Harry: "I'm sorry it had to end like this...ya know, what we had"

Louis: "me too mate"

Louis patted Harry on the back and left him standing in the middle of the empty hallway alone as he made his way back to the dressing room.