We Do This Together

Start from the beginning

Just as I made a move to follow my plan, a faint voice echoed, "someone is here." The male voice froze me in the spot.

"Would you bet on it being the runaway with the reward?" Another voice rang out.

"And even if it was, would Alpha Silas give territory to rogues?" The first one questioned and chills coated the entirety of my body at the word 'Rogue'. I watched all my plans and hopes go down the drain as I eavesdropped on the conversation of the notorious rogues.

"A word is a word and besides, it wouldn't look nice for an Alpha to go against it, making his reputation depend upon it. He would have no choice but to keep his word."

I had nothing. No weapons, no strategy and no way out. The only bright thing I could conclude from this was that I had only two rogues to worry about but that still didn't calm me.

"Well, whatever it is, sniff it out and bring to me." The first seemed to be in control as he laid out the command and no later, I could hear the footsteps approaching closer to my location.

Only two. I can do this. I did it with Silas' men so two rogues shouldn't be so different. All I had to do was come up with a quick and easy strategy.

The boost in adrenaline and confidence did not ease me. My palms grew sweaty by the passing second. My legs suddenly felt unable to carry my weight and if it wasn't for the tight grip around the branches of the tree, I would've met with the ground long before. In the silence that blanketed over, I could hear the almost painful, erratic hammering of my heart against my chest.

The hush over the forest was interrupted by a lengthy, audible sniff, "A lady, huh, " he chuckled, "now what is a little lady doing all alone deep in a forest?" His footsteps approached closer to my location with every painstakingly long second. It almost seemed he knew where to look.

I heard him take another long breath, "you're making it a little too easy to look for you." As he uttered those words, his figure came into my field of view. From what I could see, he even presented himself like a rogue. His tattered clothing gave that much away.

I'll take him down first, then the other. It's that easy. I was there to give myself the internal pep talk as I readied myself to stain my hands with blood once more.

My eyes followed his body like a hawk and I was taken aback when he stopped right below me, "I know where you are, " his voice was just above a whisper but I heard it and he was aware of that. I fixed my stance, waiting for the right moment as my focus was glued solely on him. Unintentionally, I swallowed hard, a cold shiver running along my spine as I noticed his head slowly tilting up, meeting my eyes through the branches, "after all, a rogue smells a rouge."

It was a good thing he chose to stand directly below me because I didn't wait a moment longer before launching straight onto him with my hands positioned to punch the living shit out of the man. One second I was falling through the air with branches smacking me right in the face, the next I landed on top of him.

It was obvious he wasn't expecting this at all as the weight of my body falling on him from such height sent him tumbling down. The strong will to live for a moment longer made me lose all rational thoughts as I mercilessly started my assault on his face first. My hands, rounded in tight balls of fury, continuously slammed into his face, aiming for considerable damage and quite possibly death but I knew my hands wouldn't be able to cause that. I needed something else.

I halted, moving hastily away from his groaning body as my bloodied hands ran over the forest floor, looking for some kind of weapon to strike him with. My attempt went in vain and was my mistake that should've been avoided as he took my search for a weapon as his chance and wrapped his arm around my neck in a firm chokehold from behind me.