Chapter 14: Double Trouble

Three days have passed since the video chat Ash had with Clemont. It had also been three days since Ash opened the mysterious package from the Alola region and revealed its contents to his two dearest friends and mother. 

Now, our hero is currently training at Professor Oak's Laboratory with his Pokémon to get them ready for the upcoming World Coronation Series Tournament. Brock, Misty, Gary, and Tracey were also there at the laboratory to help him train his Pokémon. 

Ash and Tracey had a quick sparring session between their Buizel and Scizor respectively, while Misty and Gary were training together near a makeshift water battlefield. Misty was battling alongside her Bruxish, while Gary was commanding his Nidoking. While those two individual training sessions were going on, Brock was on the sidelines with his Blissey and Comfey to provide medical treatment and assistance.

"Buizel, use Water Gun!" 

"Scizor, use Double Team as a distraction, then hit him with Metal Claw!" 

Tracey's Scizor used his superior mobility and agility to quickly form afterimages of himself. The Pokémon was successful as many copies of himself were now surrounding Buizel. Immediately after, all the Scizor's started to charge their claws and lunge right at the center, where Buizel was standing.

"I don't think so!" Ash yelled confidently. He was anticipating a strategy like this, so he prepared ahead of time. "Buizel, use your tail to propel you to the air!"

"Buee-bui!" Buizel barked out. The sea weasel Pokémon then immediately focused on his tail as it began spinning rapidly into a spiral motion. Buizel started being lifted off the ground due to the momentum and was now two feet off the ground.

"Now spin your body around while using Water Gun!" Ash shouted out as he pointed forward. What he hoped for was for Buizel to locate the real Scizor by soaking the fake ones with water. However, what came next was unexpected. 

"Bui... ZELLLL!" Buizel cried out loudly as his body started emitting a white light. Instead of forming water from his mouth, a massive vortex of water began forming above the sea weasel Pokémon. 

Ash and Tracey both gasped as they realized that Buizel had learned a new move mid-battle. Even Brock, Misty, and Gary stopped what they were doing to witness the ongoing event.

"No way... that's..." Ash thought to himself as he widened his eyes. It was a move that he had seen various other water-type Pokémon use, including Buizel's final evolutionary form.

"Awesome Buizel! You've learned Whirlpool!" Ash shouted out in excitement. It was made obvious to the raven-haired trainer that this was a result of their training together.

The force of the Whirlpool began to become too much for Scizor's Double Team clones to handle, because they all immediately vanished as soon as the Whirlpool grew to its maximum size.

"Buizel! Finish this by throwing the Whirlpool at Scizor!" Ash ordered once he realized there was a clear opening. 

Buizel heard his trainer and chucked the massive attack right at Scizor, drowning it in water in the process.

"Oh no! Scizor are you okay?" Tracey shouted out in concern as he started running to Scizor's side.

"Sci-zor..." Tracey's Scizor grunted as the bug/steel-type fell on one knee and started showing signs of fatigue. It appeared that although Scizor still had some fight in him left, he was in no condition to continue at this rate.

"I'm sorry Scizor, but I will have to have you return to your Poké Ball." Tracey declared as he propped the Pokémon up to his side for support and took out a Poké Ball. "Scizor, return. Please rest and don't overwork yourself."