Chapter 2: Brock & Misty

After Ash and co. went to Celadon City and retrieved Ash's Primeape from Anthony, Gary told Ash about some sort of rare Pokémon he has. This left Ash to be very excited and constantly wonder what type of Pokémon his childhood friend has. Whatever it is, he wants to battle it.

Ash, Gary, and Tracey were now on the road once again and were continuing on their way towards Pallet Town. However, they made a quick stop at Pewter City to refill on gasoline for Tracey's vehicle.

"Hey guys, since we are here in Pewter City, why don't we go visit Brock at his gym? I would like to catch up with him in person before he comes to visit Pallet with Misty later for training sessions." Ash suggested eagerly.

"Sure, we got time," Tracey replied as he finished filling up the gas tank of his vehicle.

"Sounds good with me," Gary added his opinion, but to be honest he didn't really care what they did. The trip from Vermilion City to Celadon City and then now Pewter City had really tired the mahogany-haired aspiring researcher out.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

After finding a safe place to park Tracey's vehicle, the trio walked around the city to look for the Pewter City Gym. After a while of walking, they eventually made it to the front of the gym.

"Man this brings back memories." Ash said as he took a deep breath and admired the entrance of the rock-type Pokémon gym. It hasn't changed much since the first time he's been there. In fact, he much preferred the way it looked back then compared to how it currently looks.

"You said it, Ashy-Boy," Gary chimed in. "I remember when I battled Brock here. I only had my Squirtle and Rattata at the time and it was a close match. Let me tell ya, his Onix sure was tough for a low-level gym."

"Don't remind me. I took two attempts against Brock and I still couldn't beat him, even with the power-up Pikachu received. I was such as a rookie." Ash said with a sweatdrop.

"Pi..." Pikachu squeaked and also sweatdropped. He clearly remembered the struggle of winning a gym badge in the Pewter City gym. Brock was such a savage when he went against trainers back then.

"But we are both professional trainers now, am I right?" Gary laughed. "I bet if we went back in time, we would have crushed Brock to pieces."

"Most definitely. But Brock is pretty strong. I was thinking of challenging him to a battle if we see him today." Ash commented.

"Oh yeah, the Pewter City gym received a promotion and is now a mid to high-level gym," Gary said as he thought for a moment. "The Pokémon League Association spoke about it during one of the recent gym leader meetings."

"Sometimes I forget that you are the new Viridian City gym leader," Ash stated.

Gary just shook his head. "Well, I'm not planning on staying as gym leader for long. Gramps offered me the position and I took it since he was childhood friends with Agatha, one of the Elite Four."

"Oh, I remember Agatha," Ash said with recognition of the name. "I battled her Golbat in the Viridian City gym when I returned from Hoenn."

Gary nodded. "Yep, that's her alright. Technically speaking, she is still the temporary Viridian City gym leader. I'm just filling in for her for the time being. Though, the other gym leaders seemed to have accepted me really quick into the gym leader circle."

"Well guys, maybe we should get inside. We've been standing out here for a while and the heat is really getting to me." Tracey suggested. Ash and Gary nodded and then soon realized that they were sweating too.