Chapter 6: A Pallet Town Arrival

"Pidjah!" Pidgeot cried out, as the mighty bird Pokémon flapped its mighty wings and descended to the ground close to the group of friends. The Pidgeotto and Pidgeot that accompanied it then cawed and chirped as they flew away, leaving Pidgeot behind. Ash and the gang stared at Pidgeot in awe.

"P-Pidgeot? Is that you buddy?" Ash asked, who couldn't believe his eyes. He raven-haired teenager rubbed his eyes a couple of times to make sure he wasn't in some weird fantasy. It had been around seven years since the day he released Pidgeot to the wild and now out of the blue, Pidgeot has returned.

"Jah! Pidjah!" Pidgeot cried out with a nod as it extended its large wings with pride. Pikachu then jumped off Ash's shoulder and onto Pidgeot's back, greeting his old friend from their very first journey eight years back.

"Wow, Ash. Your Pidgeot is larger than any average Pidgeot I've ever seen. Not even my own Pidgeot back home is quite as large as this. This is even coming from the trainer that owned a Krabby twice the size of yours." Gary said with amazement.

"Indeed," Tracey added. "This Pidgeot looks amazing, Ash. You can tell by the fluff and shininess on its feathers and the crest on its head is long and beautiful."

"Woah..." Misty whispered in amazement. Being the witness of Ash's capture of Pidgeot back when it was a Pidgeotto, Misty couldn't help but feel happy for the raven-haired trainer.

"It appears that Pidgeot has been doing very well for the past seven or so years and clearly looked after the flock very well." Brock remarked.

"But wait, Pidgeot. Shouldn't you be with your flock? They are going to leave without you if you don't go back to them." Ash said with concern.

"Pidjah!" Pidgeot cried out and shook its head at its trainer. 

Ash took a moment to try to interpret what the large bird Pokémon might be saying. Perhaps Pidgeot wants to return back to his team? 

"Pidgeot, are you saying that the flock doesn't need to be under your guidance and leadership anymore?" Ash asked, looking up at the bird Pokémon that was currently in front of the group.

Pidgeot just stared at Ash attentively and didn't respond. 

"Pikachu pichu pika pi!" Pikachu squeaked while gesturing with some hand symbols and Pokémon sign language.

Ash looked at Pikachu. "Wait Pikachu, you mean that the flock can take care of themselves now and Pidgeot wants to come back?"

Pikachu nodded, which caused Ash to grin and look back at Pidgeot.

"So, Pidgeot. Do you want to come back and participate in the World Coronation Series Tournament with me and the others?" Ash asked his former bird Pokémon with a look of hope in his eyes.

"Pidjah! Jah!" Pidgeot cried as it gestured with its wings. Pikachu understood what Pidgeot wanted, jumped down from Ash's shoulder, and landed four legs. The electric mouse Pokémon's red cheeks were starting to spark with electricity. Ash was initially confused as to why Pikachu and Pidgeot were staring each other down in their battle stances, but quickly understood the situation.

"If I had to guess, it looks like Pidgeot wants to battle you." Brock speculated while scratching his chin while in thought. "I'd say that Pidgeot wants to prove itself to you and demonstrate what it has learned since all those years ago."

"Yeah, I think so too, Brock." Misty agreed.

"If it's a battle you want, it's a battle you'll get! Pikachu, I choose you!" Ash declared with a fist in the air.

"Pika!" Pikachu squeaked and turned his head to give his trainer a determined look on his face.

"Pidjah!" Pidgeot cried out. The large Kantonian bird Pokémon reascended to the air to get ready to battle its trainer and Pikachu.