Chapter 13: A Call with Clemont

When Ash got up to his room, he quickly plugged his Rotom Phone into the large monitor that was hanging by his wall and punched in the numbers to Clemont's contact information. He made sure to lock the door so nobody could intrude in what will soon be a private conversation between friends.

"Now we wait, Pikachu. The distance between Kanto and Kalos is really far, so it might take longer for Clemont to pick up the call." Ash told his partner Pokémon, who was perched on his left shoulder.

"Pika-chu." Pikachu squeaked and nodded.

*Ring *Ring

*Ring *Ring

...

...

*Ring *Ring

A minute later, a recognizable robot appeared on the screen. Ash's face immediately lit up when he recognized who picked up the video call. It was none other than Clemont's substitute robotic gym leader, Clembot.

"Welcome to the Lumiose City gym. This is Clembot speaking. How may I be of service?" Clembot asked through the video call.

"Hey Clembot. It's Ash. I was wondering if you could get Clemont on the call, please." Ash requested to Clembot. He hoped that Clemont hasn't forgotten the video call they have arranged a while back.

"Of course, sir. I will get Master Clemont straight away. Please wait a moment." Clembot responded and soon left the monitor's view. Now, Ash and Pikachu were basically staring at one of the interior walls of Prism Tower.

Ash lightly chuckled to himself, remembering the time he got kicked out of the Lumiose City gym by the same exact robot. It was his first day in Kalos and he already got himself in a sticky situation. Luckily, Clemont and Bonnie were there to catch him and Pikachu before things could get ugly.

He remembered the noble sacrifice Clembot made during the Team Flare Attack that occurred right after the Lumiose Conference. As a consequence of the sacrifice, Clembot's memories were wiped clean from its hard drive. Fortunately, these consequences ended up being reversible afterall.

Clemont thought that Clembot's memories were permanently erased, but then when Ash went to visit Clemont and Bonnie three months ago, he learned that Clemont found a hard drive that stored Clembot's memories up to the events of when the sinister Dark Clembot framed Clembot for its nasty crimes. Clemont was thrilled that at least a partial amount of Clembot's memories were saved.

"Hello...? Ash?" A voice suddenly said from the other side of the video call. Ash snapped out of his thoughts when a certain lemon-haired young man came into view. The sight of the slightly older male made Ash smile.

"Hi Clemont." Ash greeted. Pikachu waved at the lemon-haired young man who was on the other side of the call.

"Hey Ash, Pikachu. I was expecting you to call around this time." Clemont greeted back with a smile. "It's great to see you again so soon."

"Same here, Clemont. So how are we going to set up my surprise arrival so Serena wouldn't suspect a thing?" Ash asked. However, he stood there confused for a second as he noticed Clemont facepalming at what he just asked.

"Ash... don't you remember? We already organized the plan. All I need you to do is to arrive here right on time like we discussed beforehand." Clemont responded with a sigh. Did he honestly forget or is Ash playing dense right now?

"What do you mean? We haven't spoken to one another since I met you at Prism Tower nearly three months ago," Ash replied with genuine confusion. Ash glanced over to Pikachu who was giving him a look of disbelief.