Chapter 22

Cheryl entered the school, her shoes squeaking against the cold ground. It was very rainy today.

She knew her girlfriend was grumpy this morning because of it. This morning Toni texted her how pissed off she was about the rain and how she had to get up and go out in it.

"I just don't see the point of having rain!" The brunette texted. Cheryl smiled at the thought of Toni flustered, her tiny frame fidgeting in disgust. She finds it cute, adorable even.

"What's got you all smiley?" Toni asked as she wrung out her umbrella.

"You...as usual." Cheryl chuckled, moving her books to put her jacket inside. "Sleep well last night?" Cheryl asked after a beat of silence.

"Eh. You know I don't get sleep when it rains...well, that's unless you're there." Toni sighed, shutting her locker.

"I heard Coach Nancy is paying for them to make an inside field..." Cheryl whispered.

"Yeah, my father is also pitching in because he doesn't want what happened to me to happen between the other girls, or anyone after us." Toni explained.

Before Cheryl could answer she and Toni heard loud whispers. They turned towards the source as the hallway got quiet but some people remained gossiping.

Toni's mouth went dry and her eyes widen at the sight of her ex-girlfriend, Jessica. The Jessica who gave her trust issues, the Jessica who left her after getting what she wanted from Toni, the Jessica who used her.

The brunette smirked as she approached Toni's locker. "Wow...Toni! It's so good to see you."

Toni looked at Cheryl then back at the brunette as she swallowed hard, "Well it isn't seeing you." Toni crossed her arms.

The brunette rolled her eyes, "You're still not over that?" She questioned with a scoff.

"What the hell is that suppose to mean?" Toni asked. Cheryl just stood there, watching the interaction, like everyone else in the hallway.

"How could you still be upset over something that happened a few years ago." Jessica scoffed. "You took my virginity and played me like a damn fool. And you expect me not to be mad. Get the fuck away from me." Toni pushed pasted her, gently picking up Cheryl's hand and pulling her towards her first-period class.

Jessica stood there dumbfounded. Toni had changed since she moved, any other time, Toni would've just quietly told her to leave her alone. When did she become so loud?

"Oh fuck me." Emily huffed when she saw Jessica. The brunette turned with a smile, "Oh! Emily! It's so good to see you!" She smiled.

"Save the crap. I don't want to talk to you." She shook her head and Jessica sighed.

"Look I know...Toni is your best friend and you're upset that I did that to her. But I was young and so dumb." Jessica sighed, feeling extremely guilty. Even after she left Toni that morning, she felt terrible. The next day she wanted to badly apologize to Toni. The brunette was indeed the best girlfriend she had.

"Duh, but you knew better and you how wrong it was to just lead her on, tell her you loved her-"

"I did love her." Jessica butted in, "I did. It hurt me after I left her there. I- It's just insane at this point." Jessica shook her head.

"What are you doing here anyway?" Emily asked, sitting at the bench near the office. "My mom got a temporary job here. So I'm here until graduation." She explained.

"Duh...It's when everyone leaves too." Emily rolled her eyes. Jessica just sighed, "Who was that redhead?" She wondered.

Emily smirked, sitting up after untying her cleats, "Her girlfriend, Cheryl. Isn't she a beaut?" She chuckled.