Chapter Twenty Four: Feelings Taking Flight

Start from the beginning

I stand on the other side of it for a moment, processing that he's actually leaving. The apartment instantly feels empty just at the thought of him not being here. I let out a sigh, unsure of what to do with myself.

Suddenly, the door flies open and he barges back in, pushing his lips up into mine, stealing a few desperate kisses off of me. I cup his face, tugging on the hair at the back of his head. They're the kind of kisses that make you dizzy and weak at the knees. I don't want them to end. I don't want to stop feeling like this but I have to.

"Okay. I'm going now." He mutters, still not being able to stop kissing me.

"Have a safe flight. Text me when you land." I pant as we eventually part from each other.

"I will." He finds his bag in the hallway again. "Best behavior." He gives me a wink.

"Pinky promise." I nod, my words barely audible.

"Pinky promise." He repeats and with that he leaves.

And this time he's gone for good. 

**

Thomas

I land in Florida after just three hours, hauling my bags through the airport. I've arranged to meet Elliot and Lexie here, our flights getting in at roughly the same time. I scan through endless, unfamiliar faces until I see the top of a dark shaved head. A pair of blue eyes light up when they spot me.

"Thomas!" I rush over, dropping my bags to clasp hands with Elliot. Stood next to him is his girlfriend, Lexie. Her dark tanned skin glows, her brown eyes sparkling with her dazzling grin.

"Hey Lex! How are you?" I give her a quick hug. She instantly pushes me off of her.

"Don't call me that, Tommy." She jokes, crumpling her face up. She looks way too glamourous to have just been in the air for hours, her short body drowning in a long brown coat. She's got a pair of black jeans on, accessorized with a golden Gucci belt, a present from Elliot last Christmas that I helped him buy.

"You look great." I compliment her, squaring up in front of them.

"And you already look like you don't want to be here." Elliot clamps his hand on my shoulder, bringing me around to start walking. I let out a sigh.

"Come on then, let's get this over with." We don't hang around for too long, quickly finding and getting into a car to head to the venue. I sit across from the pair of them as they hold hands, Lexie's head on his shoulder.

"So no Isabelle then?" Elliot quizzes. I shake my head. "Everything alright there?"

"Yeah of course." I answer. Her name alone makes me miss her. This is going to be harder than I thought.

We chat for a bit, briefly catching up. Lexie and Elliot have been together for three years now and they still look as happy now as they did when they first got together. They have the kind of relationship everyone wants to have.

Slowly, the car pulls up outside of the grand venue. I duck my head to look out of the window to see a huge white building with dozens of windows. Staff are pouring in and out of the door, carrying various flower arrangements and decorations. The road in front circles around an extravagant fountain that has three levels, water trickling down to the one below. Hedges are perfectly clipped to edge the side of the road, the lawn cut into light and dark stripes.

I thank the driver, getting out. The trunk of the car opens and I carefully lift Lexie's extensive amount of bags out, placing them down beside her. I haul my suitcase out when I hear my name.