Chapter 19 - Stolen Strength

Start from the beginning

The last thing I saw before the darkness took me, was a flesh-coloured blur rushing to my side.

The sweetness of the darkness kept ebbing and flowing into my pain and I wished it would stop.

I'd give myself to the darkness completely if I could be free of this torment.

I could feel my body being moved, every time a moment of consciousness hit.

Feel sweet fresh air rushing past my face.

I hung limply in the arms of someone, could it be my Drake?

No. Not Drake.

The woody scent of his skin was so familiar and yet I couldn't place it.

A calmness overtook me, and I felt myself relax into his arms.

Vague realisation of being in a vehicle flitted through my mind, but this time I didn't feel ill. I was bundled tight in a protective embrace, feeling like I had found home.

My mind warred with itself to understand. To fight the pain and confusion.

I must have dozed for a while.

My next moment of clarity was jostled into being by shouts of shock and horror, and the mournful howl of a woman.

I frowned. What was going on?

I felt the air warm around me and knew we had entered a building.

The scents here pulled at my memory. Igniting some embers in my mind that I knew I needed to encourage.

We were slowing to a stop now, and I endeavoured to pull open my eyelids.

My whole body hurt, and my eyes felt gritty, but I was determined to know.

The first thing I saw were the powerful muscles of a man's bare chest. I was tucked against his hard abs, a small line of dark hair disappearing below me.

Conflicting emotion warred in my head, between intense calm and freaked out discomfort at feeling so at ease with this stranger.

No... not a stranger...

Jack?

I heard more gasps and became aware of others in the room.

Doctors and nurses flocked to my side as I was deposited onto a bed. Horror plain on their faces.

An Additional interruption came in the form of another large man. He was also very familiar, but didn't make my breath catch, the way the Jack did.

My sluggish brain eventually delivered me a name. Alpha.

"They have been draining her blood." Jack said thickly. Anguish plain on his face. He began crying silently. His jaw clenched so tight that his lips were a thin line. His beautiful eyes met mine, and closed briefly, before reopening.

A nurse slid a gown over his head. Covering, what I now realised was his complete nakedness.

A flutter in my belly stoked the flames of memory again and I shuddered. Mind and body at war.

Interrupting, the door swung open to reveal a beautiful lady. Her face was pale as she took in the sight of me.

Each new face helped embolden my recall, and I knew her a moment after she arrived.

Our gracious Luna.

She walked into the room, full of the poise and elegance of a queen. The soft smile she usually wore replaced with a thinly veiled look of shock.

"Why is she not being treated?" She demanded, eyes piercing what must have been the doctor in charge.

Pausing flipping through the chart in his hand, he bowed his head in respect.

"Of course, my Luna. The problem is that we don't seem to have her blood type on record." He sighed. "She needs a transfusion soon, or there's a good chance she won't make it."

The room fell so silent, that I could hear a clock ticking in an adjacent room.

Suddenly the gruff voice of the Alpha broke the silence. "Take my blood."

The doctor smiled nervously. "That's very gracious sir. But, since she is part human, it is very important that it is a match to her own blood type."

The Alpha growled, tearing off his sleeve as he stalked towards the bed. "Just do as I say."

Jack frowned. "Jules, I know you're trying to help. But we need to be sure about this."

Eyes blazing, the Alpha caught the nearest doctor by the front of his shirt. "I said do it!" he paused, turning to me with a mixture of devastation and fear, "She's full wolf. She's my daughter."