[ s e v e n t e e n ]

Start from the beginning

"Shouldn't we check on Amelia?" Lydia asked as she was about to stand up, but Lizzie sat her down again.

"She's fine. She just got a big scared. You focus on deciphering the code."

Lydia sighed, looking at the screen again with no idea how to decipher anything.

"The ashes were left for you," pointed out Stiles, looking at the girl. "The code was left for you. You're supposed to be able to figure this out."

"But no one else is," she whispered, looking at the screen. "Which is why she made it hard."

The printer started beeping, telling everyone around that she was out of paper. So, Stiles, frustrated, grab a pile of white sheets of paper and forced them inside the printer, exhaling.

Until he figure out. "You... «No one else»," he whispered. "No one else but you."

"What?" Lydia asked.

"Our guesses. They're all about Lorraine. Right? We are trying to guess a word that has something to do with her. So, maybe we should be trying to guess one that's about you."

"Me?" Doubted Lydia. "What about me?"

"What do you remember doing with your grandmother?" Lizzie crossed her arms in front of her chest, hearing Stiles out. "You know, what was you guys', like, special thing? Did you guys... Did you guys go to the beach? You know, did you like ice cream or..."

"My grandmother used to teach me and Amelia how to hunt deers." Stiles looked at Lizzie with a deeply worried and confused expression, trying to understand how did she say that with such calm.

"That's profoundly disturbing, and also explains a lot of things about you two," whispered Stiles and Lizzie nodded.

"We read," replied Lydia, making Stiles look at her.

"Okay," talked Stiles. "What did you read?"

Lydia shrugged. "The Little Mermaid."

"You read that cartoon movie?" Asked Lizzie in confusion and Lydia exhaled.

"It was a book first," Lydia explained. "Hans Christian Andersen."

Stiles sighed. "Type it in. Little Mermaid."

Lydia proceeded to type it, but the word ERROR appeared back. So she proceeded with Mermaid, but it didn't work either.

"We read it every night," assured Lydia in a whisper. "I got so obsessed with it, for three months I wouldn't respond to anything but Ariel. It drove my parents crazy, but..." Lydia opened her eyes as she started typing. "Grandma thought it was adorable."

And as soon as she typed the nickname, a new list of names was revealed.

"You recognize any of these names?" Lizzie asked her.

"Just my grandmother," she replied.

But the sound of the printer going on stopped the conversation, and also woke up Amelia.

"What's going on?" The girl asked as Stiles grabbed one of the papers, looking at it. "Did you figure out the cipher key?"

But she stopped herself when she saw what the printer was printing.

Copies of the list. Multiple, and multiple copies of the list.

"We need to call Scott."

• • •

Amelia was watching at they turned on the bonfire in celebration for the beginning of the lacrosse season.

"Hey you," she heard someone call her and she turned around, noticing it was her cousin Dahlia, walking towards her with a big smile.