[ e i g h t e e n ]

e i g h t e e n
t a p e s

"I'M COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY FINE," insisted Stiles to Melissa as he was picking up his stuff, but Melissa stopped him, not letting him leave

"Uh-uh-uh," she said, placing her hands on his chest. "You completely and totally have a concussion, Stiles. Lie down." Melissa looked towards the hospital bed, where Amelia was sleeping on. "And you were planning on leaving her here?"

Stiles exhaled. "Did you see the bags under her eyes? She's not sleeping," he whispered. "Today, she had a panic attack, out of nowhere. I think... I think maybe she has too much on her back."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm on my way to talk to Derek to see if he can, I don't know, break the bond or something so that she could take care of only two werewolves instead of three. I'm worried about her." Melissa exhaled, giving him a tiny smile. "So I'm leaving—"

"No, lie down next to her. The doctor said you're not leaving without a CT scan."

He raised his eyebrows. "We still haven't paid for the last one. I need to talk to Derek. I need to talk to Meredith."

But she stopped him again. "No, no, no. Meredith is at the station."

Oh yeah, the turns-out-I'm-alive Meredith that turned out to be the Benefactor. How nice.

"Your dad said it could take some time but he will get her to talk," continued Melissa. "Even if I let you go... you won't be much help at the station, and you can talk to Derek any other day."

Stiles exhaled. "Okay, fine," he whispered before sitting next to Amelia. "Can you do me one little favor?"

"Anything," she said to him.

"Can you get me a tape player?"

Melissa frowned. "Like cassettes?"

"Yes. Tapes," he insisted.

"Yeah, I'll see what I can do," told him Melissa to Stiles as she was about to leave the room.

"Okay, tapes, though, please."

Melissa raised her eyebrows. "Cassettes."

She closed the door and Stiles looked back towards Amelia, who was still sleeping on the hospital bed. The guy slowly laid next to her, letting her turn around and lay her head on his chest.

She tried to fell asleep to the sound of Stiles's heartbeat, to the sound of his breath.

But all she could see was the picture of her mother. The picture Dahlia showed her.

And how she was in Beacon Hills.

She felt Stiles's hand caressing her hair while with the other, he kept holding the mixtape with Lydia's grandmother's voice recorded on it, the moment they killed her at Eichen House.