Chapter 14 - Talk Tips Tempers

Start from the beginning

"Shit. I meant to tell you. Him and Shelby wheedled an invite at the coffee shop today." I groaned.

I was possibly focusing on the wrong thing, but this was supposed to be an opportunity for me to shake off the silly crush I had on him, not get drunk in his presence!

Ignoring my mounting displeasure, I slapped a smile on my face. "It's fine. He's here with Shelby. I'm completely fine about it.

The words even tasted like a lie.

Just as I spoke, a loud snarl ripped through the flat.

Holly looked at me worriedly and we rushed to intervene.

I followed the inevitable raised voices to the sitting room, where Jack stood facing Callum, eyes flashing golden as he bared his teeth. Shelby clung to him, ineffectually pulling on his arm. Fat tears shone in her eyes as she shook with fear.

To his credit, Callum was standing his ground, with his head high, although unable to meet the eyes of his superior. The hushed whispers in the room died as Holly and I entered. Noticed by most but the two men causing the commotion.

Jack took a large step forward, dragging the pleading Shelby with him unnoticed.

Callum was pale. His shoulders beginning to hunch.

Just as he began to slowly offer his throat in submission, I stepped between them. Holly started to usher people into the kitchen, cheerfully telling them no one was drunk enough yet.

As she left with the last guest, she shot me a worried glance and closed the door. Muffled sounds of chatter and music were the only noise in the room for a few moments.

Suddenly, a loud sob erupted from the still present Shelby. "Jack. Please." She sniffled. Fat tears now staining her cheeks with mascara.

Jack was looking over my head, still focused on the other man. I checked to make sure Callum hadn't pissed on my carpet and then turned my attention to Jack.

"Jack." I growled. To be met with silence. I tried again to no avail.

Frustration was building inside me, and I spun to face Callum. "Go. Get out of here before he kills you."

Callum blinked dumbly at me for a second and then began edging towards the door.

Enraged Jack snarled, tearing his arm out of Shelby's grasp, and launching himself at Callum.

Further away and a second too slow, I got there first and blocked him.

Stopping just short of grabbing me by the throat, his eyes finally landed on me, growl dimming only slightly. "Step aside Charlie. I told this fool I better not ever hear his disgusting fantasies bandied about again. Then here he is, talking about you like you are a piece of meat in your own home."

"This is my party. He is my guest, as are you, Jack." I stated firmly, placing a hand on his chest. "I appreciate your concern, but this is my business. I'm not a pup anymore. I don't need you to fight my battles and I definitely don't need you to ruin my party." The glow in his eyes was dimming slowly, returning the deep blue I knew so well.

A muscle jumped in his jaw as he struggled to calm himself. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a second. "You're right. I'm sorry for ruining the mood." He glanced distastefully at Callum over my shoulder. "I apologise boy. Make sure you act like a man in future and we will have no further issue."

"Do we have an agreement?" Jack demanded.

After Callum nodded sickly, Jack held his hand out in a peace offering and they hesitantly shook.

Shelby let out an audible sigh of relief and drew the attention of the rest of us.

Hiding a smile, Jack turned once again to Callum. "Show me you are a decent man and take my date into the kitchen. She obviously needs a drink."

The Alpha-like boom to his voice left no room for argument, and the two scurried from the room as quickly as they could.

As silence descended on us once again. I pursed my lips at Jack and rolled my eyes. "Seriously? Was there any need to put on your big boy pants for one final 'my dick is bigger than yours' comment?"

Jacks eyes glittered, suddenly full of humour and I felt my mouth tweak in an answering smile.

"I don't need to compare dicks with a pup. Especially a virgin that has to lie about bedding women."

I raised an eyebrow in amusement as he smirked, clearly under the impression he had shocked me.

"Bedding women might have been a lie. But I can vouch for the fact that isn't a virgin personally." I said with a sultry smirk of my own.

The shock on his face was only briefly satisfying before I spun away, sashaying out of the room to re-join the party.