Louis: Tonsillitis (3)

The next afternoon

Early this morning the surgeon came to meet Louis and discuss when he could have surgery. It turns out that he had an opening for this afternoon, so they began preparing him for surgery. He was definitely nervous as he was visibly shaking.

"You okay Lou?" He shook his head no.

"I'm scared." He said and I sat down next to him.

"I can see if the nurse can give you something to help you calm down?" I questioned and he nodded. So I went out to find the nurse and she agreed that she could give something to Louis to help calm him down.

"Louis I'm going to switch your fluids and give you something to help calm you down, okay?"

"Y-yeah." He said shakily. The nurse did her thing and injected the medication to calm him, so he felt better.

"The medication takes a few minutes to start working, but you should start to feel a little tired and a little funny, but don't worry, it's totally normal." She smiled and left.

A few minutes later, Louis definitely calmed down but he was acting like he does when he is drunk which was really funny.

"Hazza, I want to go party." He slurred and went to stand up, so I went in front of him to stop him.

"No Lou you have to stay in bed. They are coming to get you for surgery in a few minutes." I helped him back into bed, but he was definitely stubborn.

"But haz I want to." He began to get teary eyed and I was just laughing because it was really funny. Then a few nurses came in to take him up.

"I see he calmed down a bit. Louis we are going to take you now." His eyes widened.

"You're taking me to a party?" He asked excitedly and the nurse looked at me, in which I shrugged. The nurse laughed and decided to go along with it.

"Yes we are taking you now."

"Harry you are coming right?" I shook my head no and he got sad again.

"I can't come with you right now but I'll see you after okay?" He nodded and I kissed his cheek. I went to the waiting room and waited for his surgery to be finished.

The surgery took about 45 minutes and soon a doctor came out to discuss the results of Louis' surgery.

"Hi I'm Dr. Michael and I am Louis' surgeon. The surgery went well and Louis is in recovery now. He should be waking up soon, but I thought I would update you on what to expect after surgery and how to take care of him." He sat me down and handed me a piece of paper and then began to explain. "His throat will probably be sore for a while, so soft foods that can be tolerated should only be eaten for a couple weeks. There might be some swelling, but we prescribed medication to help with that. And of course nausea, vomiting and tiredness aren't uncommon in patients after general anesthesia, so don't be alarmed if any of that occurs. As for discharge, we can release him tonight as long as nothing seems to go wrong. Do you have any questions?"

"Um No but that is a lot." The doctor chuckled.

"Don't worry; all that information is in the paper. Would you like to see him now?" I nodded and followed him down the hall. We arrived outside a room he knocked before entering, even though Louis was still asleep. He checked Louis' vitals while I sat down next to him. "We will be keeping an eye on him, but let a nurse know when he wakes up okay?" I nodded and the doctor left us alone.

It took awhile for Louis to finally wake up, but he did after about 45 minutes. I ended up falling asleep and didn't notice when Louis had woken up.

Louis POV

There is something in my throat. I can feel it. I can't breathe. Am I breathing? I think I'm starting to panic. My breathing is getting faster. I opened my eyes and I could hear the monitor start to beep louder and faster. Harry is on the chair beside my bed, but I can't reach him so I press the button that's attached to my bed controls. A nurse comes running in and Harry begins to wake up.

"Try to breathe honey." The nurse says as she increases the oxygen in the tubing that rests underneath my nose. I point to my throat and she looks at me with a confusing look.

"T-there is something stuck." I said barely audible. She nods, but places a hand on my shoulder.

"That's normal to feel after your surgery. Trust me it's just swelling okay? Here I'm going to place this oxygen mask over your mouth and nose and just try to breathe. I'll see if I can give you some medicine to help with it okay?" I nodded and Harry stood up coming closer to my side.

"What happened?" He asked, taking my hand.

"There is a bit of swelling in his throat, which is normal, and I think he is just panicking as he may think he can't breathe, however he is. I placed him on oxygen and I'm going to get some more medicine. I'll be back. Remember to breathe Louis." I nodded and Harry smiled.

"You alright Lou?" I nodded and just tried to relax. "How are you feeling?"

I removed the oxygen so that he could hear me talk and said "Sore. Feels like the worst sore throat ever." He chuckled and put the oxygen mask back over my face.

"It'll get better Lou. Now try to rest. We are here for the next few hours." I nodded and drifted off to sleep.

Eventually Louis fell asleep and I did as well. He was discharged a few hours later and sent home with detailed instructions, lots of pain meds, and a rule to only eat soft foods for a few weeks. After about a month later Louis was pretty much fully healed and we were back to working around the clock just like before. 

I'm open to more requests, so leave them here! 

Also I'm working on the prequel to Louis' paralysis story and it'll be a long one, so I'll be posting some shorter ones for now. Anyway treat people with kindness and enjoy your day!