Chapter 12 - Surprise Relations

Start from the beginning

Holly would have a field day with this bit of gossip.

Oh, and that I'm to call him James.

After a few moments of eating in silence, James set down his fork and cocked his head at me. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"

I chewed the piece of carrot in my mouth for a second longer than necessary before nodding my agreement. How could I say no to the Beta?

"Was this your first haze? You need not be embarrassed. We have all been though it. Many wolves as unluckily and publicly as you." He chuckled.

I smiled "Just call me lady luck." I pushed a piece of duck around in my bowl and then sighed. "Yes, it was my first. I know that wolves usually get their haze in their 16th year, but I never got mine. I assumed it was because I don't have a wolf?"

James clasped his fingers together on the table in front of him, leaning forward slightly. "And now? Do you feel your wolf now?"

Oddly, it hadn't occurred to me I might.

I sat back and closed my eyes, fingers crossed in my lap.

I searched my mind as thoroughly as I could, hope ebbing away with each passing minute.

Eventually I sighed. "No. Nothing."

Disappointment weighed heavy on my chest and I looked away as I felt tears sting my eyes.

It wasn't fair.

Mirroring my sigh, James reached and patted my shoulder. "Your mum would have been so proud of everything you have achieved Charlie. You don't need a wolf to be extraordinary."

I sniffed and smiled a thank you at him.

"Ah... James?" I mumbled, completely out of my comfort zone. "Will the Alpha be told about ah... um... Jack helping me?" again my face flamed, and I studied my nails.

"Don't worry." James chuckled. "In this case, I would say he will let this particular incident slide. He knows Jack cares about you and wouldn't have expected him to leave you hurting."

My ears perked up at the mention of Jack's feelings for me.

"Having that said. He wouldn't be happy if he thought this was more of a regular thing than we first thought..." James trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid.

I nodded furiously, "of course sir, ah... James."

Chuckling, he suddenly glanced towards the door.

I couldn't hear anything for a few moments, and then running footsteps, the door was then almost torn from its hinges.

Panting, Holly came to a screeching halt in front of us. Her jaw slack with shock.

She took in the scene, the Beta half undressed, me dishevelled and entirely more satisfied than last she saw me.

The blood drained from her face and I could see the cogs turning in her mind.

Apparently, so could James. His bark of laughter caught us both off guard as he pulled his shoes on. "Oh no, Miss Garrow. Charlie's pleasant condition is absolutely nothing to do with me."

Holly flushed and looked at her toes, managing to stammer an apology. "O-of course, Beta. I didn't mean to cause offence Beta."

Standing, James grabbed his coat and the empty boxes, heading for the door.

"You girls lock up now." He said cheerfully. Clearly seeing more fun in the situation than I did.

After he had gone, we locked up as instructed and grilled each other on our respective nights.

It seemed all I had missed were some speeches and wine. I could live without those in exchange for what I had gotten.

Holly pulled ice-cream out of the freezer and we curled up on the couch to discuss Jack.

My heart pounded just remembering the way his body and hands had felt against mine.

I spooned a blob of ice-cream into my mouth, watching Holly switch between horrified and envious. She eventually settled on envious when I repeated the Beta's assurance that we wouldn't be punished.

Whining pitifully, she pouted. "I need me a man to have his way with me against a solid surface. Even better if he is as hot as Jack."

She giggled, leaning in conspiratorially. "So... Was he big?"

I snickered, elbowing her lightly. "Hol..."

"Oh come onnn." She groaned. "I'm not getting any at the moment. At least let me hear the juicy details."

I bit my lip, lowering my voice even though there was no one around to hear. "I didn't see him properly. But he felt absolutely massive."

We both set off in a fit of giggles, throwing ourselves back into the couch cushions.

"Well. If you ever lose your mind and break the rules completely. All I can say is good luck with the torpedo sister." She saluted me before dissolving into another fit of hysterics.

As I joined in her laughter, I couldn't help but wish I'd had the pleasure tonight.