Chapter Twenty Two : Mom's The Word

Start from the beginning

"Elliot said you were drunk and dancing on the coffee table when he and Thomas got back." Her serious face curls up into a smile. "I'd say that's a great review." We both start grinning.

While she sips at her coffee, we happily converse. I tell her a little bit more about myself and then we discuss the idea of the upcoming wedding.

"Thomas is the one who's struggled with the affair and the divorce the most and was always bound to find it even harder when the wedding finally came."

"So you're not... bothered?" She shakes her head, dismissing the very idea of it.

"Not exactly. I've had years to be angry and, believe me, I was. But I've enjoyed being single, I've never been on so many holidays. I feel like I'm back in my early twenties." She smiles. "Well at least now I don't have to find Thomas a date to the wedding."

"Oh. No, I'm not coming to the wedding." She jumps back in her chair, shocked.

"You're not?" I shake my head slowly. "I thought Thomas would've asked you." I shake my head again with an awkward laugh. "Useless." Sherri scoffs. "Men are useless."

"It's fine." I shrug. I hadn't thought about going to the wedding until now. It hadn't even crossed my mind that he hadn't invited me. "I've got school and work. It'll be nice for him to be able to spend time with his family. And it'll be nice for me to get some peace and quiet."

"God." She sighs, sounding almost disappointed. "Is he still as much of a pain in the ass to live with than what I remember."

"Yes. Most likely, yeah." We both giggle.

**

Thomas

I kick my shoes off as soon as I get in through the door. Luckily my head ache from this morning has since disappeared. I'm not as hungover as I probably deserve to be. I yawn, edging through the apartment when I hear giggling from the kitchen.

I cock my head around the archway and my eyes widen at the sight of my Mom sat beside Isabelle at the island together. A bottle of wine sits between them paired with two glasses and a box of pastries.

They're both too busy laughing at something to notice me. Mom's skin is still bronzed and her blonde hair is lighter from her holiday. She's in her usual designer clothes, looking as fashionable as ever. Isabelle has thrown her dark hair up, wearing a black crop top and jeans. Her face is pretty and bare from all signs of makeup. Her white teeth are flashing with her grin.

"What the..." I trail off, shocked. Their heads wind around at the sound of my voice and Mom points at me, causing them both to laugh at something that must be a shared joke between them. "Mom. What are you doing here?" I take a step in.

"I came to meet your friend." She answers and I ignore the emphasis.

"Is, don't listen to anything she says about me, okay?" I shake my head as Mom jumps off of her seat. I wrap my arms around her, swaying side to side in a tight hug. "Why didn't you call?"

"Because I'm not here to see you." She says as I lean back, both of her hands on her shoulders.

"So much for being so busy." I remark. "What's first impressions like then?"

"I like her." Mom responds, sitting back in her seat. I stroll over, cupping my big hands around Isabelle's face.

"So do I." I lean down giving her a quick peck, tasting the wine off of her lips. She shies away, being in front of my Mom but neither of us care.

"Did you know Elliot was on a secret mission to suss me out?" Isabelle questions, twisting on the stool, as I move around the island to pour myself a drink.