Chapter 41

I helped pack the bags that would be needed and packed the car that we would be taking. 

"That's the last of it. Remember to keep in constant communication, and good luck with your first operation Scarlett." Levi patted me on the back, and I smiled at him.

"Thank you." I went to the passenger's side of the car and got in, my stomach turning in knots. This was going to be the first time I was completely alone with Killian in months. I watched as he patted Levi on the back, and then he made his way to the driver's side. When he sat down, his scent filled the car, annoying me because he smelled so good. He was dressed comfortably in black jeans and a gray turtleneck that hugged his chest and arms deliciously, which annoyed me even more. It was like he made himself so enticing on purpose. I waved at the team as Killian reversed and stared straight ahead when they were no longer in sight.

Neither of us spoke to each other for the first hour and a half of the five-hour trip. I planned for it to stay that way for the rest of the trip until we absolutely had to speak to each other. It was still bright outside, now afternoon, and I enjoyed seeing the countryside during this trip. It was calming and helped keep my mind off of the man sitting next to me.

"You know, eventually, you'll have to talk to me." Killian broke the silence, and I cringed when he spoke. I thought the silence would last longer than that. I didn't respond to him and kept staring straight ahead. I could see from the corner of my eye how he turned his head and stared at me before looking at the road. "Scar."

I gritted my teeth as he said my nickname, not liking how my body reacted to his voice. Calm down, you traitor. If I was being candid, I did miss Killian. His voice, his presence, his touch. Snap out of it! I huffed and rolled my eyes, looking out of the window, trying my best to ignore him. He huffed after a few minutes of silence and didn't say another word after that. The rest of the trip was silent, just how I wanted, and soon we were at the house. It was in the middle of two other houses that were identical to the one we would be living in.

"Welcome to our humble abode. We'll be living here for at least a month, and I'll go over the rest of the case file later today when we're settled in."

I nodded at Killian before leaving the car. It was quiet in this neighborhood, not a person in sight. I grabbed my bags from the trunk and back seat and followed him to the front door. He pulled out a key and unlocked the door, twisting it open. It was a cute little inside, with the stairs to the left of the door, and I could clearly see the living room from where I was standing. I walked up the stairs and saw three doors on the floor. I walked to the furthest one, opening it. It was a bedroom, a beautiful one with dark bedding and furnishing.  A single queen-sized bed sat in the middle of the room, and next to it was a small bookcase and the other side a small dresser. 

I dropped my bags on the floor and stretched before turning around. I let out a grunt when I almost bumped into Killian, who was walking up behind me with his own bags.

"Um, what are you doing? This is my room." For the first time this entire trip, I spoke to him, and he paused, tilting his head, some black curls spilling into his eyes. 

"This is my room too. There's only one bedroom in this house."

I shook my head, scoffing. "No, no. I saw two other doors on this floor. Pick one."

"One is a guest bathroom, and the other is an office. No extra bedrooms. Trust me, this isn't ideal for me either." He walked to an open space across from the bed and disappeared around the corner. I hurried out of the room, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart. Sharing a bed with Killian? That was not what I had planned.

***

"Are you ready to go over the plans?" Killian asked me from the bedroom. I was currently in the bathroom, fresh out of the shower.