chapter 08: bare naked lady... and men

"Jesus, Carl," I said, crouching in front of him.

Carl had a huge gash on his forehead from where the gun had hit him. There was blood running down his forehead and onto his eyebrow.

"Come on, let's get you up," I said, pulling on his arms and helping him up.

I brought Carl into my house and into the bathroom. I wiped away the extra blood and then put a large bandaid over it.

"I want out," Carl said, looking at me.

I looked from his forehead to his eyes. I could tell he was in pain. Not just physically, but emotionally as well.

"We're gonna get you out, ok?" I said, pulling him into a hug and planting a kiss on his cheek.

~

After replacing the bandaid on Carl's head for the third time, I decided it would be best if I took him to see Vee. Maybe she could do something about the bleeding.

Veronica lifted up the bandaid on Carl's forehead and looked a little disgusted before pulling it off completely. She got out some supplies and started cleaning out the wound.

"You gonna tell me what happened?" she asked as she finished sewing the cut shut.

"No," Carl said quietly.

"Karina?" Veronica said, looking at me.

I shook my head and she pursed her lips, looking back at Carl.

"Don't tell Fiona," Carl said.

"What's wrong with me telling her?" Veronica asked.

"She freaks out about everything," Carl explained.

"What if I promise not to tell her?" Veronica asked.

Carl hesitated for a second.

"I just got hit, that's all," Carl said simply.

I scoffed a little and Veronica looked over at me.

"By who?" she asked.

"Guy I know," he responded.

"Any particular reason?" Vee asked.

"Cause he doesn't want to work with him anymore," I answered before Carl could.

"And he clocked you for that?" Vee said, looking from me to Carl.

"Yeah and almost shot me," I scoffed.

"Jesus, Rina. You need to be more careful. Both of you!" Vee said, shaking her head.

I nodded my head slightly.

"Get out of that shit you're involved in. Now," Veronica said sternly.

"I got it handled," Carl answered.

Veronica looked at him for a second.

"You two get out of here. And stay inside!" Veronica said, shooing us out.

~