.30

Evelyn.

"You know what we should do?" Hailey tipsily exclaimed, "We should get tattoos!"

I refused to say the million different things going through my head in that moment, merely taking another sip of the nonalcoholic drink in my hand. Of course at my celebration, everyone but me would get drunk.

Finally, I responded, "That's not such a good idea H."

She groaned, nearly falling off bar stool, "Why not? Aren't we celebrating your promotion to Executive Manager accountant?"

"Yeah," I glanced over to Luke and Ashton, who both had knowing smiles at the lie we had told them. 

Obviously, we couldn't just tell them that I was now the FBI Chief of our region, but we had to come up with something.

Personally, I'm just itching to give someone a command or two.

I sipped my drink as she continued.

Hailey rested her head against me, sipping from her beer, "Then let's go."

Luke offered, "I've been meaning to get a touchup on my bird tattoo anyways."

I groaned, rolling my eyes in an attempt not to see any of their faces ever again. Like that would work. If it did, perhaps I would have gotten rid of them all sooner.

But no matter- we would go regardless.

Luke knew a tattoo artist downtown, a professional one.

"I'm going to get your name below my boob," Hailey smiled to Ashton, who laughed a little too loud. Yeah, there was no way I was going to let her do that. No way in hell.

Luke nudged my shoulder, turning my attention as we entered the little shop, "What about you? You gonna get my name under your boob?"

I feigned a dramatic love, placing a hand on his cheek lightly, "Oh yes- it's a true act of love."

He chuckled, wrapping his around my shoulder, pulling me tightly into him. The tattoo artist came into view, gloves and apron on.

"Hey Luke," The man fist bumped him, "What can I do for you?"

"I want a tattoo," Hailey slurred lightly. The man laughed before turning back to Luke.

Despite myself, I spoke up slightly, "I want to go first."

He turned to me, confused but excited for me. I stepped towards to the chair, laying my arm out and rolling up for my sleeve.

"What is it that you want?"

I glanced over to Luke, then to Ashton. I said to the tattoo artist, " I want a PM, with a circle around it. All in red ink."

Both men whipped their heads around to look at me, only them understanding the meaning. Hailey absent mindedly furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "Huh?"

I dismissed her, "Inside joke at work."

She nodded, turning her dazed attention back to the walls and the curious drawings around.

Luke paused me, "Are you sure?"

This was my entire life. If I was going to be permanently traumatized by something, I might as well have it be therapeutic.

Tattoos can be so therapeutic.

I took a breath, nodding and turning to the tattoo artist.

"I'm sure."

——

I ended up getting two tattoos. I got that circle commemorating Patrick Mendoza, my entire life work.