.07

Evelyn.

"You ready, Agent Hemmings?" 

He cocked his weapon back, smiling for a second before gripping it properly, "Ready."

It was just after 10 pm, enough time for them to get in but not enough for them to actually pass the walls protecting our weapon.

I turned to the rest of our team, a few SWAT members with us. They all awaited me, any command I would give.

Luke may have been above me in ranks, but I am above them all in skill level.

I backed up a little for one of the men to raise a barricade breaker, meant to bust down doors. Shifting my head around quickly to ensure all of the entrances were covered, I nodded to myself.

Before I made the command to go in, Luke's low voice hit the back of my neck as he murmured, under all his gear, "You got me?"

Though I tried to ignore it, the hairs on the back of my neck tingling, rising at his words.

I smiled at his switch up of the words, him taking my line, "I got you."

Then, I lifted two fingers of my free hand, waving them and pointing them towards the door.

"1, 2, 3!"

With the large rammer, they pushed against the door, smashing it open.

"FBI! Don't move!"

The men inside were scampering, holding many people hostage, and skirting around the racks of weapons. Shouting and a cacophony of shouting flooded my ears, the tension in my chest tightening.

Adrenaline coursed through my blood with every step I took.

Let's fucking dance.

"You two!" I ran in and pointed towards two of the SWAT members, directing them towards the back room, "That way!"

"Agent Hemmings! With me," I yanked him towards the main vault, running down quickly. My steps were incredibly loud, echoing against the high ceilings.

An array of gunshots from all over the warehouse signaled something going down on the other side. I hoped for a moment that our people were okay.

Cutting a corner tight, I ran in weapon first, spinning on high alert trying to find anybody in the area.

Suddenly, I felt a presence behind me. Luke was already in my view, my blood running cold as I realized it was in fact, one of Mendoza's men behind me.

I turned on my feet with my weapon raised and loaded, but I was too late.

In a failed attempt, I tried to jump to the side to get away, but it was too little and too slow.

You can't outrun a bullet.

Well, maybe I could.

A loud bang filled my ears, a ringing echo, an impact nearly knocked me over, blood flooding from my leg. Pain immediately wrecked my body.