Eighteen

Mayhem. It was the only word to describe what we began running through the minute we hit the ground level. There had been fighting all through the castle but the closer we got to the courtyard, the worse it became.

We ran down the stairs, desperately trying to get to the boat house as Deatheaters came from every direction. I casted the killing curse for every dark creature I saw and I caught a few but others dodged. The ones I didn't get, the others were there to catch them. Harry stopped at a corner but Hermione didn't and he pushed her back as a spell almost killed her. Harry peeked around and casted a spell before leading us out of the main doors and into the courtyard.

Giants had completely destroyed what used to be one of the most beautiful hangout spots for students. They waved their giant metal weapons and hit students and Deatheraters alike. I stopped, watching a student die and another get the cruciatus curse before a spider attacked. I looked away quickly and got a Deatheater coming straight for me.

"Cora, what are you doing, come on!" Hermione exclaimed, grabbing my hand.

"Hermione I can't," I gasped, planting my feet. She turned back and I saw the boy's faces. I shook my head and looked back at my best friend. "We're losing. I have to stay."

"No, no you promised!" She screamed.

"I know but-"

"You promised!"

I took a deep breath. "Go."

She shook her head and I pulled her down as a Deatheater carrying someone smashed right into the wall behind me.

"Ron." I called.

Ron grabbed Hermione's other hand but she held on tight. "NO!"

"Go!" I pushed her hand off mine and Ron kept running with her. Eventually she got her footing and followed him.

Harry started following, stumbling along. The giant turned to them and Harry ducked behind a bell. I hit the giant with a spell, making him just miss Ron's head. A bunch of spiders followed and I did my best to keep them off but they defended themselves well.

I ducked as more Deatheaters swooped down and I threw all the spells I knew, wherever I could. A scream caught my attention and I turned around to see Cho dueling with Carol behind her. A giant also heard her screams and was headed straight for them. I ran, dodging everything I could while getting a few Deatheaters on my way.

The giant knocked down a column and my hands went up instinctively right behind Cho. She screamed and won the duel, sending the Deatheater flying from the grounds.

"Cora!" She exclaimed.

"Run!" I screamed. The giant lifted his weapon again. "CHO NOW!"

Cho picked up Carol and turned just in time for the bricks to come down. My entire body rocked with pain as I hit the ground and everything went black.