Nine

Warmth. I noticed that first when I woke up and it made me slip back to sleep. Waking up the second time, I felt better to get up. Harry was still sleeping so I carefully got up. My hair was braided neatly and I was in new clothes. A new jumper and new jeans.

Hermione. I looked around and noticed she wasn't in the tent. I put my shoes on and put on a coat before walking out into the cold. It wasn't as bad as the river but I still shivered, walking down to where she sat against a tree.

"Need some company?" I asked her.

She looked up and let out a breath, her eyes watering instantly. "I'm so sorry, Cora." I sat next to her and crossed my legs. "It all happened so fast..."

"What happened?"

"The snake was after us. She was terrifying and... huge. But Harry was attacked and I didn't know where you were so I went to help. We had to apparate, we had to get out and I thought you were holding onto me but it was just Harry. We got here without you and then... and then I heard you in the river."

I looked up at the stream and shivered, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"I pulled you out." She said.

"Saving us all the time, aren't you 'Mione." I smirked.

Hermione shook her head. "It's not funny. What happened to you?"

My smirk faded and I looked away. "Someone was trying to get into my head... I saw my mum."

"You let them in."

"I didn't have lessons like Harry did." I snapped. "I don't know how to fight it and it hurts. It burns and the ringing for me, it... Hermione it's not as easy as you think to fight your own mind. Let alone somebody who's screwing with it."

"Do you think it was Voldemort?" She asked.

"No. Someone else." I replied, certain.

Hermione sighed and handed me my wand. "You took a beating back there."

"Nothing I can't handle." I said, taking the wand.

"Depending on who got into your head, they probably knew where we were." Hermione said.

"Did you find anything?" I asked.

"Just a book." Hermione shrugged. "Helps a little. Not much."

I nodded.

"Wow." Somebody breathed.

I looked up as Harry walked up, looking at the scenery. I relaxed a little, seeing that he was alright.

"You've outdone yourself this time, Hermione." He said.

"The Forest of Dean." She replied quietly. "I came here once with mum and dad... years ago. It's just how I remember it. The trees, the river... everything. Like... nothing's changed.

"Not true of course, everything has changed. If I brought my parents back here now they probably wouldn't recognize any of it. Not the trees... not the river... not even me..."

I leaned my head back against the tree, closing my eyes as a biting breeze swept past.

She finally said it. She admitted the weight that had been sitting on her shoulders. I had been meaning to ask but then I knew I would have to tell her about what happened when I was held captive and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Then Ron...

"Maybe we should just stay here, guys. Grow old." She chuckled softly.

"That sounds... beautiful." I replied, looking at her.