Liars Remorse

Chapter 15:

Liars Remorse

The first thing Emily planned to do after the scaffolding incident was make an appointment with her OB to make sure that everything was still okay with the baby. She knew that high levels of stress weren't good for her pregnancy. Her back was a bit strained from carrying Alison. She hadn't been thinking at the time. All she'd been able to focus on was getting her to safety.

Once the adrenaline wore off and her emotions settled down the gravity of the situation had hit her hard. They'd both been quiet on the drive home. Alison's parents were home, but Emily still walked her to the door just to make sure she got there safely. Alison was already walking on her ankle better. Emily had done a really good job doctoring her up.

They stood on her porch for several seconds, facing one another with their hands linked between them, their fingers laced together.

Emily reached up and touched the cut on Alison's cheek. It didn't look like it was going to scar. It was superficial. It didn't quell Emily's rage at all. Someone had tried to hurt one of the most precious things in her life. The psychopath coming after her was one thing, but her loved ones were off-limits. As soon as she found out who was responsible she was going to unleash holy hell on them.

Alison could feel Emily trembling in anger. The normally sassy blonde was quiet. She was lost in thought. Emily had saved her life. Again. And she'd risked her life to do it.

"Thank you." Alison kissed her. "Thank you for being there for me."

"Always." Emily squeezed her hand.

Alison slowly moved her palm over Emily's stomach.

"You're sure you're okay?" Alison questioned.

Emily smiled and put her hand on top of Alison's, holding it in place. She wanted the baby to know how much she was already loved. She wanted her to feel everything.

"Yeah."

She'd never dreamed that being pregnant would open up her emotions in so many different ways. The bond that Alison had with the baby made the pull of their attraction feel so much stronger. She'd never felt anything like it before. It made her yearn for a future she wasn't sure she would ever have. How could she hope to give her child a normal life? And how would it be fair to Alison to stand in the way of her future? Babies were a lot of work. Alison deserved to experience life without being tied down.

She knew that Alison would give up everything in a heartbeat for her. But she also knew that Alison was still viewing things from an idealistic standpoint. Emily wasn't sure the blonde understood the sacrifices that came with having a child. Emily wasn't sure she herself understood everything it entailed.

She did know that Alison cared. Deeply. And she wanted desperately for that to be enough, but she knew it was more complex than simply deciding to keep the baby.

"Em..." Alison's voice drew her out of her thoughts. When Emily looked at her she saw a timid expression on her face. She considered something carefully. "You have to put yourself first. You can't keep risking your life...or hers...for me. You just...can't."

"I..." Emily knew she was right, but how was she supposed to explain to the blonde that it wasn't something she could control? "I just acted on instinct."

Alison sighed. She knew it wasn't going to change. Emily was protective down to her very core. And Alison loved her for it. But it scared her, too. The brunette was one of the most determined people she'd ever met. She would put her life on the line for her family. Every time.