Wonderful Tonight

Chapter 28:

Wonderful Tonight

Alison had stayed on Emily's porch the first five minutes. She'd promised Emily she'd go home, but she couldn't help herself. She sat on the steps listening for sounds of a struggle. When it became obvious that Isaac hadn't come to hurt her Alison realized she needed to give Emily the space she'd asked for.

She was doing that thing where she started to act like a territorial asshole. Emily didn't belong to her. Emily was her own woman. But it was a bitch to leave her alone. She hated it.

It had been half an hour. She'd been pacing around in her living room since she got home. Occasionally she'd look out the window, pushing the curtains aside to see if she could see anything at Emily's house.

It was supposed to be their night. It was supposed to be another magical night by the fireplace. But the huge twatblock had ruined that when he showed up.

She didn't hate Isaac, but she hated what he represented. She hated that he'd been with Emily. She hated that he would always be a part of Emily because of the baby.

She stopped pacing when she realized she hadn't considered Emily's daughter his. She'd always considered the baby Emily's alone.

She tried to think about it from his point of view. Emily had been telling her for months how terrible she felt for not telling Isaac the truth. Alison tried to imagine what she'd feel like if someone hid her baby from her.

But she couldn't see beyond Emily's desperate need to protect her child. Isaac's family was toxic. Courtney would never get anywhere near Emily's daughter. Alison would make sure of that.

She felt a surge of rage. She knew she needed to do something to calm herself down. She grumbled under her breath as she plopped down on the sofa. She reached for the basket of goodies Emily had left for her at the gym. She started digging through everything until her fingers landed against the personalized snowglobe. She tilted it side to side, watching as little flecks of white and speckles of glitter moved around in the clear liquid.

She thought about the little snow family she built with Emily. And she thought about her wish of it being a real family.

She was trying to come to terms with a lot of emotions she didn't understand. She didn't understand the power of love, but she knew that she loved Emily. She didn't understand why it was so important to her for Emily to keep the baby, but she knew she wanted to be a part of her life.

She was willing to give up New York City for Emily and her daughter. That was the power of love.

She stood up, staring at the image of her and Emily in the center of the snowglobe. She wondered if maybe one day there would be another snowglobe, but with a little addition. She trailed her fingers against the glass...fingers she wished were touching her girlfriend instead of trinkets and presents. She loved everything that Emily had done for her, but her favorite gift was the time they spent together.

She sighed, walking across the room to peer out the window. There wasn't any action happening across the street that she could see. She knew that Emily could take care of herself, but she still felt like barging in and telling Isaac a thing or two.

She wasn't worried like she'd been when Emily went to see Maya. She knew that Emily didn't have feelings for Isaac. She was more pissed off than anything else. Because he had ruined their perfect day.

She could only imagine what would happen if they got married one day. Would he be that douchebag that showed up last minute that tried to put a stop to the wedding?