Chapter Twenty One : Toxic

Start from the beginning

"Mom, no. I'm not going to do that." I scoff, shaking my head. Isabelle rotates, glancing over.

"Come on. I just want to say hi." She pleads.

"No. We're cooking now so I've got to go. Love you. Bye."

"Thom-." I hang up before I can hear another word.

"Is everything alright?" She comes up behind me as I put my phone face down. Her hands melt into the warmth of my bare chest.

"Yeah. It was just Mom. She was pestering to say hello, that's all." I explain, brushing it off.

"And you said no?" She tilts her head over my shoulder, looking down at me with a frown.

"Well I didn't know if you wanted to or not." I answer.

She recoils away, peeling her touch off of me and turning to look at the excessive amount of ingredients that I've laid out.

Oh no. Has that pissed her off? How have I already pissed her off in the first twenty minutes of the day.

"Are you upset?" I stand, nervous with worry.

"No." She answers, slowly spinning to see me. She pushes her mouth to one side and makes sure to avoid my eyes. "It's just a little strange that you'd think I wouldn't want to."

"I'm sorry." I step forward with my hands out, attempting to get her to look at me. "I didn't know what to think. God, I'm so bad at this." I grumble, combing through my thick hair. I sidle up next to her and tilt my head. She gives me a short smile which I don't buy. "Is-." I start softly.

"It's fine." She lets out an almost laugh. "It doesn't matter." She pats her hands down on the counter, picking up her mood. "Right, what are we making!?"

**

Isabelle

While sorting out the laundry, my phone starts violently buzzing in my back pocket. I fish it out and answer the call straight away.

"Isabelle!" Eva blubbers on the other end, hysterically crying.

"Oh my god Eva." I instantly stop what I'm doing and dive into my room. "What's wrong?"

"I've made... the biggest – mistake." She wails. I perch on the end of my bed.

"Okay. Eva, take a deep breath with me." I guide her to take several breaths and she attempts, her crying cutting her out. "Right, what's happened?"

"I want Violet back." She states. I rub my tired face with my hand. "But I don't think she'll take me back."

"Why do you think that?" I question, calmly.

"I broke up with her over the phone. That was such a shitty thing for me to do. I know Vi like the back of my hand, she won't want to forgive me." She sniffs. "Have you seen her? How is she?"

"I'm not going to lie, she's been rough. She's slowly coming to terms with it but she's definitely putting on a brave face." A shaky breath sounds through the phone. "Eva, did you speak to your parents?"

"Yeah I did." She answers. Her voice gives no indication of how she feels about it.

"Well, what did they say?"

"I could tell they were a little uncomfortable but that might've been because I practically shouted it out at them." She starts. "We don't ever talk about relationships anyways so that could be another reason. But they told me they'd always love me. No matter what."