Sentenced to Death (Chapter Twenty-Five)

Start from the beginning

"No Cat, I'm not a princess.  And I'm a guy!"

"You're a princess!" She clenched her fists.

Josh looked behind her and saw me spying on them.  I quickly recoiled inside, but he approached the door and stared at me, raising an eyebrow.  Annastazija was standing beside him.  I bounced on my heels, not sure what to say.

He looked past me and spoke out loud to everyone in the room.  "The slayer isn't saying anything.  I'm sorry to say this.  However, we are keeping her alive to see if we can get any information out of her or the other one."  The were angry murmurs, but no one was mad at Josh.  They were all saying words of hatred towards the two slayers locked up.  Annastazija, however, was glaring.  At Josh.

Josh looked at her.  "Why are you glaring?  I'm your prince, you should appreciate me," he said with an amused smile.

"It's a glare of appreciation," She told him.

"Really?"

"Mhm!"

Josh rolled his eyes, walking back down the hallway from which he came.  Annastazija lingered in the doorway for a moment, then followed him.  I wonder how long they've known each other.  Also, should I consider them friends?  They seem to fight often, but they don't hate each other.

"Mathew?" Connie piped up behind me.  I turned to look at her.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Are you hungry?  You haven't eaten at all today.  I know I'm not hungry, just a little thirsty.  So I was going to go grab a can of blood if I can."

"Actually, I'm not all that hungry.  I'll come with you though."  She smiled, then walked past me and out the door with me trailing along.

I don't know how Connie was able to find the kitchen so quickly, since I was still unfamiliar with the layout of the castle.  Maybe it's a vampire thing.  Maybe I just have a horrible sense of direction.

Once we were there, something occurred to me.  "Are we allowed to take food and stuff from them?"  By stuff, I meant blood.  I just wasn't very comfortable saying it yet.

"Karissa told me that if there was anything I need food-like, then I could have some," Connie told me.

We weren't the only ones in the kitchen.  Annastazija was reaching into a cookie jar, and a girl I didn't know was getting a can out of the fridge.

Annastazija spotted me as she pulled two cookies out.  "Hey there Matt-chew!  Haven't seen you in awhile."  The other girl turned to look at us, but didn't say anything.  She was average height, with long black hair reaching her waist and skin paler than any other vampires' skin.  She also had red lipstick on and it looked good on her.

"Hey Annastazija," I greeted her.

"You can call me Cat if you want," she suggested.

"Alright, Cat."

"Irene gave me that nick name, and it kind of stuck on me.  Everyone calls me that now."

I nodded.  The other girl walked out of the kitchen as Connie grabbed a can of what was probably blood.

I waited a minuted before asking, "Who was that other girl?"

"Dat's Misha," Cat said as she munched on one of her cookies.  She swallowed, then answered my question more clearly.  "That's Michelle.  She doesn't talk much, so don't bother trying to start a conversation.  In fact, I've never heard her speak once."

Something about that rang a bell, but I couldn't remember what it was.  "Then how do you know her name if she never told you?" I asked.

"She used sign language to tell Michael, and he spread the word."  She started chewing on her second cookie.  After she had swallowed her bite, she added: "She may be silent and antisocial, but she is amazing at fighting.  Second best female vampire, right under Irene, at fighting.  Out of all of us, the worst at fighting is either Leslie or Teddy.  They are both pretty good at fighting, despite what you may think.  Leslie doesn't fight much 'cause she doesn't want to get dirty, but she still can.  And Teddy is very merciful, so he hesitates often when fighting."