Chapter 7-Caleb

I just finished up at my locker and started to leave when Calista walked up. She had light brown skin and dark curly brown hair and dark brown eyes. She had a thick frame but that did not hinder her attitude at all and it seemed natural. We usally walk to first period calculus together since we shared the class.

"Did you miss me these last few days you big idiot?" She normally opened with something along those lines. We had an odd relationship. I had not even noticed she was gone though. I had been caught up in my own problems.

"Oh um, where have you been ?"

She noticed that I was acting strange but seemed to pass it off as nothing "I have been at the hospital with my mom, it was kind of like a bring your kid to work days."

"Oh, well that's cool. You do anything fun?"

We walked out the door into the wind and started talking about her days at work with her mom. When I started to zone out she would always pull me back in with a comment. She didn't ask why I was acting weird. She knew I would tell her eventually, I normally told her all of my problems.

Calculus was down in another building on the campus and there was no way to get to it without going outside. There was a math and a English building. It helped new students know the general area of where their classes could be found.

When we got to the building and walked to the class, Mrs. Cherry was at her desk looking down at something on her phone. When she looked up she stared straight at me "Caleb you are need in the office at the moment." She didn't like me very much. Which always threw me off because teachers normally liked me.

I turned right around and headed out the door. I made eye contact with Calista and she gave me a concerned look. She might have thought my sour mood was connected to the summons.

I steped out into the cold morning and couldn't help but get a knot in my stomach. I know I didn't do anything wrong so why am I being called down? When I stepped into the front of the building all I had to do was take a right and go through a door to enter the office.

There was an old sweet lady behind the counter. She gave me a small smile "Caleb, how are you this morning? How is your family? I hope you have been good?" She rattled off a few more questions and I politely answered all of them. She had been a family friend for longer than I was alive.

After all pleasantries were swapped I said"I was called down here for some reason, do you know why?"

she shook her head and nodded toward the hall way that had the principals little office. I turned toward the little hall and with every step that I took my stomach grew more uneasy.

I knocked on the door and there was a slight "you may enter" from inside. I stepped through the door and to my surprise I wasn't the only student that was called to the office. John and Shawn were both sitting in front of the desk looking as frightened as I probably looked.

"Have a seat Caleb and we can start our discussion. " The words came from a man that everyone knew as the ever mean and terrible coach Michael. He had the look of an old man that had kept a frown on his face his entire life. He had short gray hair and a visible bald spot in the center on top of his head.

"Welcome Caleb I'm so glad to finaly meet you." It was then that I noticed a strange man in the back corner of the office. He sretched his hand out for me to shake but when he saw that I was making strange face he slowly brought back his hand. He was an in between build. He wasn't fat but he wasn't very skinny either. He had green eyes and a full head of snow white hair. Strangely enough he also had a pristine white lab coat on. 

"I am Dr. Smith and I will be the man that will be studying and watching while you work." He was addressing all of the kids that where sitting in front of the desk.

"Studying what do you mean by studying us." John asked with a puzzled face.

I didn't want to move. No it couldn't be. The stuff that has been happening has been all in my head. This is a dream.

"Have each of you not noticed strange occurrences?" He have a knowing smile to each of us. "Each of you are special. There is no mistaking it."

I couldn't deny it. They obviously knew, and by the way John and Shawn were acting they knew this as well. "So does this mean you are going to take us away to study us, cut us up, and see what makes us tick." I asked not really wanting to know the answer, but I had to.

This question brought a chuckle to the old doctor "No that would be insane, but we would have to take you away if you didn't agree to the things we are about to ask of you." That brought a silence to all of us and we suddenly got the feeling that the doctor wasn't showing all of his true colors yet.

"You see we have been studying you for some time, even before you started to figure out you had powers. Why, we even sent some people to your practice to watch you play soccer." There was a silence between us because we felt like fools for believing that they were scouts."But here is the other side of the coin, you will not be taken away if you come to the gym during seventh period and under go training and study. But there is one condition to staying, you are not allowed to play any sports of any kind because that would be a health risk for the NPs, or the non-powered people."

This was an easy choice for us it was either play soccer and be taken, or not play and stay with our family. When we all agreed to going to the gym at seventh period The coach piped up "It has all been taken care of, here are your new scheduals for your classes. It will be enacted next week."

After getting the paper the doc had some things to add. "I will see each of you next week. I don't want you telling each other what your powers are because that would ruin the activities that I have planned. Oh and I want you to take these." the doc pulled out of the drawer three different colored hoddies and three of the same colored masks. Coach seemed angry that the doc was taking over his desk."I want you to put these on before you come into the gym I have something planned that this will help with." All three of us looked skeptical about it but we each took the one he gave us. I got a yellow one, John got black, and Shawn got blue. "I also would like each of you to start practicing your individual powers. I want you prepared for my activities seventh period." He then have each of us a piece of paper. "These are tips that we have found help activate and then control your powers. Work on this, think of it as homework if you will." He then have us each a steely green stare.

With a nod from the coach all three of us started heading for the door. Then the doc gave us one more thing to worry about "Oh and boys. I don't want you telling anybody about this not even your parents." We all looked at each other and slipped out trying to not look like we were in too much of a hurry.