Chapter 63, Desperate Prayers

Start from the beginning

"L-listen...", he manages, as the melody of my footsteps distort what he's trying to say, "Sh-Shisui is severely injured, Itachi.."

I grit my teeth together, not liking the tone of his voice. It was almost like a final...goodbye.

"I-Itachi...you have...to make a choice right now..."

"Don't try with me Kakashi", I sternly say as I force my legs to speed up, which made me wince.

"Itachi...The...Quarters...of Tanzaku...", his voice was hoarse and heart-wrenching, "The Legendary Sannin...Tsunade...resides there...you can save Shisui if you hurry up".

"L-Lord First's granddaughter?", I inquire, panting as I await his answer.

"Yes...you have to leave me behind, Itachi..."

"Don't talk nonsense", I grit my teeth together, "you're the one who taught me that those who break the rules are scum, but those abandon their comrades are worse than scum".

"Itachi...you are no scum...", he assures, making my heart clench at what he was saying.

"I won't leave anyone behind Kakashi", I sternly state, hating the way my body was contradicting itself. I'm tired and exhausted from carrying both of their weights.

Kakashi is right. If I leave him behind I'd be able to escort Shisui much more faster. But deep down, and for selfish reasons...I didn't want guilt to consume me for leaving Kakashi behind.

Right now, I had no idea whether I'm being selfish or heroic.

What am I to do in this case?

Why am I pushed to choose again?

Why?!

"If I leave you behind, I'll never forgive myself", I confess, and ignore the surge of numbness in both of my shoulders.

I can't be weak again. I'm not thirteen years old anymore...

I'm older and stronger. I can get this done.

Never again, never again will I let anyone dear to me slither out of my reach.

I am no longer that thirteen year old...

I can't risk using much more chakra since I might also get replenished. Quarters of Tanzaku...it'll take time to get there. Even if I somehow get there fast, the issue of finding Princess Tsunade will take time as well.

And neither Shisui nor Kakashi have the time to wait.

If I can't find someone to tend to Shisui's wounds, then I have to at least find someplace safe to rest.

***

I am still in the Country of Rain, but I've managed to escape the Hidden Rain Village. I made sure to take the path that leads to the Land of Fire so I can continue my path after taking a slight rest.

Somewhere in the thick forest in the Country of Rain, I'd fortunately found a cave near a body of water, which I quickly scurried off to. Inside the cave, I finally got to put off Shisui and Kakashi's weights.

My shoulders were numb as I carefully put Shisui's body on the hard ground of the cave. As for Kakashi, I propped him against the wall of the cave.

I was soaked in Shisui's blood, the stench making me grimace. The three of us were soaked to the bone. Luckily, it'd stopped raining at this part of the Rain Country.

I had not time to waste, I had to think quickly. There was nothing I knew about first-aids, but I had to try my best to tend to Shisui's wounds.

I swallowed the lump in my throat treaded towards Kakashi when I got an idea. I took of Kakashi's soaked cape and threw it aside, then I went up to Shisui, whose face was scrunched in pain. His face had cuts almost all over it.