#18: Cleared Out

Abandoned Building

They are all gathered at the table. The atmosphere felt the same as when they were figuring out who was the female titan. They took shelter in the old castle in the meantime. Eleanor entered carrying a pot of stew. The place had stocks of dried meat and vegetables grew in the backyard even without the help of humans to grow them. 

She felt uncomfortable with the silence. "The food is already prepared", she said and they started to dig in. Eleanor watched them eat as if there were no tomorrow. They spent the whole day killing titans, resupplying their blades and air, and running all around the area. Because Armin said that the culprit is not around, they were able to secure a night of sleep. "Aren't you going to eat as well?", Sasha looked at Eleanor who was standing on the side. "I...", Eleanor wasn't sure what to say. "The food will turn cold", Eren looked at the empty seat beside her. Eleanor looked at Mikasa and she doesn't seem to give a cold look again. She felt like the lady doesn't want anyone getting cozy with Eren. 

"That female soldier was saved because you didn't cower in the sight of the titan", Eren saw a pained looked from her. "Even so, I wasn't able to save her lover", Eleanor knew it because she saw a matching necklace and the way the female begged for the life of the soldier talked a lot about their relationship. "There were people I wanted to save as well in the past but wasn't able to", Hange joined the conversation. The room became dimmer and dimmer as time passes by. "But still, you decide to continue on with the quest that you have", Eleanor was referring to their desire to see what is beyond the walls. "There is a thing we call the sea. It's a place filled with water and an amount of salt that couldn't be contained by merchants", Armin opened. "Is that what he also wanted to see?", Eleanor's eyes soften, and looked at the flickering candle in front of her. "He wanted to prove a theory of his", Levi answered. Hange tilted her head. Eleanor stood. "I prepared tea. I brought some with me", she ran outside. 

"What was that about?", Hange was curious. "Did you hit your head somewhere? Don't you recognize her?", Levi scooped on the stew and was satisfied with the rich flavor. "What's this? She cooks very deliciously. Let's keep her with us", Sasha suggested. "You knew her, Captain?", Eren went back to the topic. "She was always pestering around Erwin", he reminded. Hange pounded on her palm. "Oh, that cute doll. I remember now. But then, during that time-", Hange recalled the time when Eleanor claimed that she wouldn't save Erwin if she was there when he was knocking on heaven's door. 

The group finished eating. "I'll be resting for tonight. I can feel numbness all over my body", Jean stood up. "I think I will as well", Eren followed and the two who always leeches around him did as well. "I guess we will retire for the night", Connie and Sasha said in unison hoping they will not be called to be on the night guard. Soon, it was only Hange and Levi in the dining hall. 

"We lost a lot of men because of that unexpected attack", Hange opened. "It's not the first time we were slapped on the face with surprise attacks. Even before that beasts appeared, we met a lot of unexpected events", Levi said with some people on his mind. If it didn't rain and the steam didn't cover his view, he could have seen them a little earlier before they resigned to their death. "Do you think Erwin is proud of what we are trying to achieve this time?", Hange had always been concerned if she is doing just right. "Don't doubt yourself, four-eyed. You're the one who always did crazy things. You're now given the power to drag people in your crazy world", Levi slightly leaned on the table. He saw Eleanor's untouched food. The door opened with the lady carrying a pot and small cups. 

She dropped it on the table. "Did you also bring this with you?", Hange asked. "I saw them in the cupboard. Some of the teacups were already broken", Eleanor sat with them. "They're mine", Levi informed. Hange knew about his obsession with tea. Eleanor poured and the scent diffuse in the small hall. "What's that smell?!", Hange was excited. "It's called rosemary. My mother grew a lot of herb in our garden", Eleanor lighted up a little seeing the excitement in Hange's face. She sipped through and drooled. "It smells really good but I feel so tired. Levi's on the watch tonight. I'll wake up a little earlier so you will have time to sleep as well", Hange winked and left the room. Eleanor tried to reach her but she's already gone.