Prompt 36 || Picture Prompt

Start from the beginning

"It's an open bar," I reply dryly.

He smiles, and he seems somewhat familiar.

"Do I know you?"

"We've met before. Briefly. I'm Trevor's cousin, Jake."

"Oh, right. Of course. Nice to see you again."

"So you know Trevor's a jerk, right?"

I cough out my drink. "What?"

"Seriously, you're better off without him. Just because we're related doesn't mean I have to like the guy."

"I'm just here to sing. I can't get involved in family politics."

"What about after?"

"After what?"

"The wedding. Let's go get a drink or something."

"I don't know. I think I should just cut my losses when it comes to your family."

"We're related by marriage, not blood," he says, winking at me and walking away. "Think about it," he calls out over his shoulder.

We do our next set, this time taking requests. We usually get a few, but tonight we are inundated with slips of paper - all with the same handwriting.

"I Like You"

"You're the One that I Want"

"Take a Chance on Me"

"Sexy and I know it

"I'd Rather be with You"

"Are you Gonna by my Girl"

Near the end of the night, Jake passes our tech one last request.

"First Date"

We don't usually do Blink-182 at weddings. Jake grins hopefully and wiggles his eyebrows up and down. Oh, why the hell not.

I have yet to catch a bouquet, but no matter. Tonight, I caught something much better.

***

WINNER 2: Saelive

The last live show I attended was a shadow puppet show in Vietnam. They spoke in foreign tongues, so I could only understand their movement. The sharp turns of anger, the slow reaching arm of comfort. My mom laughed when I told her I was confused about the plot. Almost saying serves you right for not learning my language.

Now I'm at a local pub listening to songs I can't understand. They're playing covers of classic rock songs underneath psychedelic lights, Abe showed me the song list earlier. He's the reason why I'm here. He's here for a girl, the singer. Someone said he had a crush on her. I can't remember who. She has a nice voice, looks cute too.

I lean into his ear. "I'm going outside."

He gives me a thumbs-up, keeping his eyes on the stage.

Outside crowds are shuffling through the narrow pavement. Some hang around to listen to the vein of music pulsing through the walls. I'd rather not stay. I turn the corner of the closet street and keep walking. I try to catch conversations of people passing by but all I get is a handful of words.

I couldn't understand my mom's first tongue as a teenager, now at twenty, I can't understand people. Most English sound like nonsense words now. Even Abe seems foreign and he's my boyfriend.

"You okay?"

It's her, the singer. I'm more surprise that I heard her than her sudden appearance. She has a bloodied tissue stuffed up her nose.

"Are you okay?"

She sniffs her nose. "I just get nose bleeds sometimes."

I'm in the back entrance for the pub with the singer of the night. I can understand her. I can't remember her name.

"Need any help?"

She smiles. "Wanna bounce?"

"Can you do that?"

"Sure, the manager thought I was dying and told me to go home."

She says something else I can't understand. It doesn't matter. I don't really need a reason. If I can go to puppet shows without knowing the language or performances without listening to the songs, I can run off with a nameless singer who'd ditch her show.

"Let's go then."

***

WINNER 3: Honey1522

The crowd gathered around the stadium as I nervously stood before them. The spotlight was blinding me and for a moment I squinted my eyes with it. This was my first time singing in front of a crowd, and my hands were all clammy as I sweat furiously.

"What is your name?" asked Celine Dion as the crowd cheered once again.

"D-Diana," I answered nervously as I clasped the microphone tightly.

"Okay, Diana. Let us hear your voice."

Her voice was encouraging and calm. How did she ever do that? Right! She was a celebrity and of course, she would not have that stage fright like me.

I blew a breath on my face as Celine placed a hand on my shoulder and whispered, "You can do this!"

A memory cmad to my mind as I remembered my mom used to say that.

"You can do this, Di!" A voice of my mom could be heard in my mind along the loud beating of my heart.

"Ready?" Celine asked and I nodded.

Soon, the music was played. The song was "My Heart Will Go On."

Celine started singing and I followed her lead. The crowd got ecstatic as they threw their hands in the air as I sang along with Celine.

Then,..

"You're here, there's nothing to fear... and I know my heart will go on and on..."

One octave higher and before I knew it I hit those high notes. The loud applause of the audience gave me all the confidence I need as I finished the song.

I looked up to the sky as I thank my mother silently and I knew she was there smiling down at me, proudly saying, "You did it, Diana! I'm proud of you."

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome a new superstar of the night, Diana!"

I smiled as the audience continued to cheer. I waved my hand and bowed as i gave back the microphone, thinking it would be the last time I would be singing on stage.

But what I didn't expect was...

I would be the next superstar.