28

ALEXA

I was almost finished getting ready to head over to the Way's when Frank knocked on my door and popped his head into my room, grinning like a madman. "You ready?"

"I can't decide on what shoes. Do I do vans or docs?" I asked him, not looking away from my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing black denim shorts with fishnets underneath, a mesh long sleeve, and a baggy red shirt over the top of it which was tucked into my shorts, along with a black choker and chains attached to my belt. I already knew I was going to be hot because of all the layers, but I wanted to try make it look like the layers were for the outfit and not for strategic scar covering.

Frank studied my appearance for a minute, his mouth screwed up to the side like he does when he's thinking. "Docs," he said decidedly, giving a singular nod of his head.

"Docs it is," I stated, tossing the vans shoe aside and picking up the other doc.

"Your outfit looks cool," he added, sending me an encouraging smile.

"Thank you," I grinned. I felt cool. I've said it before but I'll say it again, it felt damn good to be out of scrubs and in my own clothes.

"You positive you want to go? It's not too late to change your mind," Frank asked softly, leaning against the doorway.

I took a deep breath and nodded. "I'm sure. It'll be fun." I looked up at him smiling, which he then returned.

"You might wanna bring a jacket for later, I think it's meant to cool down."

"Ahh, thank you. I would've forgotten," I laughed, picking my denim jacket up off the floor. I was planning on getting a bunch of patches to sew onto it. I remembered seeing a denim jacket covered in patches in the back of Frank's car once and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Since then, I've wanted to make my own. At the moment though, my jacket was plain. I'd been meaning to ask Frank if I could borrow some of his pins to add to it in the meantime, but I kept forgetting. I'd have to do it before school started though. I wanted to rock up to school looking punk as fuck.

"Let's go," I cheered, walking towards my doorway.

Frank grinned and spun around, heading down the stairs with a spring in his step.

It's gonna be fun, I told myself. Nothing will go wrong. You've got Frank, he's going to be with you the whole time. Plus Gee and Mikey and Ray. You've met them all before. They all care about you, they're all rad peop- did I seriously just say rad? God, Frank's starting to rub off on me.

Forcing my feet into my docs without undoing the laces, Frank stood back, suppressing a laugh.

"Just a tip: if you undo the shoelaces, it makes it a lot easier," he chuckled.

I giggled, holding onto the wall for support so I didn't lose my balance. "I like a challenge."

Frank shook his head and opened the front door, stepping through it and holding it open for me. He was so excited, I was trying to focus on his energy more than anything else. This was going to be a good day. I wasn't going to ruin it.

Frank killed the engine in front of a nice looking two story house and I guessed this was where the Way's lived.

"Ready?" Frank smiled nervously at me. I wasn't sure if he was nervous for me or if he was nervous how I would go.

I grinned at him excitedly. "Yep!"

Hoping out of the car, I readjusted my shirt so it was tucked in and sitting nice. I didn't want it to look perfect, I wanted it to look messy and effortless, but somehow that always required more effort than trying to make it look good.