It's piercing eyes watch me almost defiantly and I frown, staring at it for a few seconds as Max doesn't notice the cat on the truck. 

"Max," I call, and he looks up at me with annoyance. I sent him a quick scoff. "There's a cat on the truck."

He looks up and finds that I am indeed not being irritating this time. "Well, I'll get it off," he says as he stands. He reaches to grab the cat, but it hisses and raises a paw, just missing Max's arm. Max backs up and looks at me with a sour frown. 

"That's a rude cat," is all he said. "And fat."

 I huff and raise the hose. "Should I wet it?" 

"Why are you asking me? You're the older brother here," he sasses. 

"Okay, are you my little brother or Louis's?" I retort, rolling my eyes. "What if it actually likes water?" 

Max crosses his arms over his chest. "Most don't. Who cares, anyway. It's rude and fat." 

"Don't be mean to the cat. Maybe it wants friends," I sympathize.

"Dad's right when he said you're an idiot," Max sighs. I send a glare at the back of his head. 

Reluctantly, I aim the hose at the cat and the second water soaks it's fur, it meows and hisses loudly, hopping off the truck and sprinting down the street. Thank God it didn't run for the field because then we'd have to go find it before the neighbors ask questions. 

We're back to rinsing off the car and getting every dirt. When we're finished, we dump out the bucket and rinse of sponges. In record time, we're back inside and dad's already tossing me money. 

"Go into town and buy that tire. You know which ones. And you have half an hour. I'll be watching the clock. No fooling around. Understood?" He demands firmly. 

Max jumps up and eagerly asks, "Ooh, can I go?"

"Sure, buddy," I tell him. 

I quickly put on a random t-shirt and shove the money into my pocket. Max and I are out the door almost immediately and on the road to the town square. A few of our neighbors wave at us, and I politely wave back. 

"So who's this Sally girl?" I ask Max as we're making our way down the sidewalk to the auto parts shop.

Max explains to me his little infatuation. "I see her every time dad and I go to play football at the park. She's cool."

"Is she your little girlfriend?" I tease him, ruffling his hair. 

He pushes my hands away and defensively exclaims, "No! But she will be." 

I laugh. "That's my little brother. You're pretty confident." 

"'Course I am," he huffs. 

"Remember what I told you about girls, though," I add. 

He nods. "Be nice, not rude. And never ever agree when she says she looks bad."

We bump our fists, my way of congratulating him and his way of being proud of himself. We're passing by Zayn's family music store when I glance into the glass windows. I'm faced with the sight of my friends dancing to music that is faint from outside. 

Niall and Louis are swinging their heads side to side and Liam's teaching Myra to moonwalk. And I'm surprised to see Alexis, but my smile fades a little when I see that she's being spun around by Zayn, a laugh leaving her lips and he's all smiles. 

My anger boils. And I can't help but feel a tinge of jealousy, but knowing Zayn, he's not trying anything. He's been my friend since forever, and I highly doubt he's trying to hit on my girlfriend. Still, I have the urge to storm in and surprise them, which I do, and Max follows.