"Does he work here in Canada too?"

I sucked in a deep breath and bit the insides of my cheeks, oh well, might as well just rip the band-aid off.

"Adam", I paused and closed my eyes for a moment, "my dad was a software engineer, actually he died four months ago"

Adam's eyes widened in horror and his hands flew to his mouth, Hailey and Kamilah gasped softly and Ben just stared with his mouth agape.

"Oh my God Zahra, I'm so sorry", Adam looked genuinely apologetic, "I had no idea and kept asking questions, man I'm so stupid", he rambled, "I'm so so sorr-"

"It's okay", I cut him off and shook my head, "you were just curious, there's nothing wrong about that"

His face was still guilt stricken, "I still feel horrible", he lowered his head and scratched his neck, "you clearly didn't wanna talk about it, and I forced you to"

I chuckled, "I'm fine Adam", I reassured him, "really"

Hailey grasped my hand and squeezed it sympathetically, "well, I'm sure he's in a better place", she said and gave me a warm smile.

"Definitely", Kamilah added, "in Jannah"

Ben nodded in agreement and I smiled at them, "thanks guys"

*****

I was walking back to class after lunch when I felt a tap on my shoulder, "hey", Zayd was standing behind me, "can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Okay", I turned to my friends to tell them to save a space for me, but when I saw them regarding my brother curiously, I decided to introduce them.

"Guys, meet Zayd", I introduced him, "he's Thing Two, Zayd meet Hailey, Ben, Kamilah and Adam"

"What's up man", Adam gave him a slapping handshake and Ben acknowledged him with a nod, Hailey and Kamilah smiled at him and waved.

"So what's up", I leaned against the wall and turned to Zayd after they left, it was then I noticed the two guys with him. one had blond hair and his eyes were trained to his phone, the other guy had curly black hair and bright blue eyes that were staring at me so openly. My brows furrowed and I shifted uncomfortably, suddenly feeling self conscious.

"Dude stop it", the blonde guy frowned at the dark haired one and smacked him on head, "you're making her uncomfortable"

"What? I didn't do anything", he argued back and Zayd pinned him with a scowl, "knock it out Josh", he said.

The blonde turned to me, "sorry about him", he apologized, "he's a manwhore who would go after any living being with the double X chromosome", he paused and smiled, a dimple formed on the corner of his mouth, "I'm Henry, nice to meet you Zahra"

"Hi Henry", I smiled back and waved at him, a little surprised that he already knew my name.

Josh stepped forward and grinned, "heyyyy Zahra", he started stretching out the hey, "has anyone told you that you're cute?"

Was he hitting on me right now?

Zayd wrinkled his nose, whether it was in disgust or annoyance I wasn't sure. Henry shook his head and released an exasperated breath, "you're a goddamn idiot", he pulled Josh back and smacked his head again, "just ignore him", he told me, "that's how we put up with him"

"Yeah", Zayd agreed with Henry like the three of them had been friends for two years and not two days, "don't listen to him, he's lying anyway"

My gaze shifted from Josh to Zayd, I ignored his jab and sent him an impatient look, "why did you call me?", I asked him, the hallway was empty by now and I didn't want to be late to class. I wasn't about to get detention on my second day here.