Chapter 56, Memories That Consume

Comenzar desde el principio

I just sometimes wonder: why give me happiness when it was gonna get torn off away any way?

It shakes your fate when you're so high and happy above some cloud nine and think that it'll last forever, but reality is harsh and before you know it, it's gone and you're collapsing, falling apart as the world sits back and simply watches.

I stare up at the sky when a few droplets of rain hit my face. It's probably going to rain again so I might just head home faster. I picked up the pace and began walking faster. Eventually, as the rain poured over me I felt my heart clench as a sudden surge of pain jostled.

Involuntarily I'd clenched my jaw as I suddenly panicked.

"Itachi please don't let go!"

I swallowed the lump in my throat as my steps echoed throughout the pouring rain. The melody of my echoing footsteps reminded me of the screams that were repeating endlessly at the Final Valley. Some were mine while others were hers.

"I won't Hanabi, I won't let you go!"

My shoulders were beginning to tremble as I bit down on my lower lip.

"Don't let me die here Itachi!"

Simultaneously, I began hastening my pace which eventually resulted in me running. But what was I running from exactly? I didn't know the answer to that question. I didn't know whether I was running away from the memories or the stigma or the rain that reminded me of all the stigma.

These memories consume. They eat away your stability, rendering you a mental wreck.

"don't let me die!"

I'd closed my eyes shut in attempts to push back the need to cry as I kept running.

"There'll be plenty of time for that..."

I stop dead in my tracks when her words echo back and forth in my ears. It took me a moment to dart my gaze off of Shiro who was dancing in the rain, twirling around my feet and see that I've arrived at home. My shoulders slumped as I forced myself to go inside.

Sasuke wasn't waiting for me like he used to. Which saddened me a little. I pushed away the fallen strands of my hair and entered my house. There in the dark living room, the casted shadow of my father came into view before I lowered my head and entered.

"I'm sorry", I said to break this unnecessary silence. There was so much on our minds that we both wanted to divulge and I found no point in trying to stay silent, "I now that I'm no longer your star bright son, but you have Sasuke to atone for this disappointment that stands before you", I declare and take steps towards my room.

I didn't even get to take three steps before his voice rendered me still.

"I have always been proud of you, Itachi. But I hope you already knew that".

I whip my head in his direction and witness him rise up to his feet. Treading closer, he placed a hand on the top of my head and said, "I know you're tired, so just change and go to sleep".

With that, he was off to his room as well, leaving me startled at what he'd divulged.

That same night I slept comfortably under the warmth of the blankets. My heart was suddenly so at ease even during this upcoming week.