Birthday Boy

(y/n's POV):
"Want to know something I've always wanted to do for my birthday?" Taehyung asked, an adorable smile already proudly across his face as he held back some laughter, "Don't laugh at me when you hear it though!"
"Of course I'll laugh," I giggled as I saw him become flustered, "only if it's something that seems out of your character. If it's something that suits you, why would it be funny?"
"I don't know, everyone else laughed at me when I mentioned it, so I thought I'd ask you..." He paused, slightly pouting, "But it would've been nice to be able to go with someone else instead..."
"What do you mean? Why wouldn't you want to go with me?" I feigned sadness, "We're soulmates!"
"That's the thing," Taehyung huffed while ruffling his hair, "I've always wanted to buy a birthday cake, you know the ones with white frosting and all the fruits, from my grandma's favorite bakery-"
"We've been there together many times before!" I interjected, "What's wrong with it being the two of us again?"
"You didn't let me finish!" He laughed, "I've always wanted to go with a friend!" He looked at me, with the most sincere and genuine look on his face, "Of course I'd love to go with you, but it's been my childhood dream to do it with a friend for my birthday. So going with you wouldn't be fulfilling the dream exactly."
"Wait this is your childhood dream, but you're just planning on fulfilling it now? What about all the other years? You haven't gone with a friend before?" I inquired, intrigued by his simple dream.
"When I was really little, my parents always got the cake." He explained, "Then time just passed really fast and I always forgot, because it's a dream that can only be fulfilled for one occasion, and haven't remembered again until now."
"It's a cute request, perfectly fitting for you." I smiled, extremely grateful to be his soulmate, "Definitely not one worth laughing at. How about, tomorrow night we go? And to properly fulfill your childhood dream, for tomorrow - just tomorrow - we'll forget we're soulmates." Taehyung cocked his head to the side, giving me his signature confused look. "That way you can see me as just a friend, instead of your soulmate!"
"Are you sure? It seems kind of really trivial now that I think about it..." Taehyung trailed off, "Plus I'm not sure if I can, or want, to pretend we're not soulmates, even if it's just for one day."
"Of course!" I beamed, "If it's something you want, then I want you to be able to experience it."

*time skip to the next night*

Just before putting on my shoes and jacket, I sent Taehyung a text, making sure that he was ready and had his winter coat on. The weather forecast abruptly changed to include a huge snowstorm tonight, but luckily it predicted that the snow wouldn't start falling until 22:00 (10:00 pm) and we surely wouldn't be out that late, so we'd be able to get the cake and come back on time. As soon as I heard knocks on my apartment door, I was elated to see Taehyung with a beanie, winter coat, and snow boots on.

"Are you sure you're fine still walking there tonight?" He asked before even saying hello, "I heard it's supposed to snow quite a bit tonight."
"Of course!" I smiled at him after locking my apartment door, "It's your childhood birthday dream to get this cake with a friend. Plus, the snow's not supposed to start falling until later!"
"It's supposed to start falling at 22:00 (10:00 pm), and it's already 20:00 (8:00 pm)." He warned as we began walking to our destination, "I don't want to make you stuck outside in the blizzard."
"Seriously, don't worry about it. I'm honored to be able to help you fulfill this dream!"

The sun was already long gone as we walked to the bakery. It was refreshing to pretend we were just friends again today as we walked down the streets and I pointed out all of the holiday lights and displays to him. He had been gone on tours and away for practices and recordings for so long, he had nearly forgotten the whimsical light display that always illuminated the city around the time of his birthday. Plus, under the facade of just being friends, I relived many of the feelings and emotions I first had when we first met, when I was first getting to know him and first falling in love with him.

Despite all these years, I still learned many new things about my goofball on our walk. In fact, I was a bit sad to have arrived at the bakery when we did because it meant we were already almost halfway done in fulfilling his dream.

"Which cake do you want?" I asked while running up to the display case and looking at the various options. Even though we arrived at the end of the night, there were still about two dozen cakes to choose from.
"Which one do you want?"
"What do you mean, 'which one do I want?'" I looked at him in disbelief, "It's not my birthday! You pick!"
"But I want you to pick." He looked back at me with a devilish smile.
"No way!" I looked back at the display case, amazed by the options, "I want whichever cake you want."
"Yet, I want the cake you pick." He laughed, peering back into the display case.
"Well, you've surely seen these cakes before and have wanted at least one of them." I determined from his stories about the cakes here the other times we had come. "But we shouldn't get a cake that you've already had." I followed his gaze onto a cake in the center of the display, with little chocolate faces on all of the strawberries. "It's that one! Even if you say you want the cake I want, I know that all along you've secretly wanted one of the cakes more than the others."
"I don't know what you mean," Taehyung faked innocence, despite his eyes betraying him.

As the bakery employees wrapped up his cake, and we fought over who would pay for it, I couldn't help but imagine the cute, tiny Taehyung who went into this bakery a long time ago and unknowingly decided upon which cake he wanted most. After we purchased the cake, and received a small "Happy Birthday" sign to be placed on top of it, we bought some food from a nearby restaurant and resumed our walk back to my apartment. Just as we reached the holiday light display again, the first few snowflakes fell from the sky - landing perfectly on Taehyung.

When we were younger, I always mocked the 'perfect' romances depicted in novels and movies. But now, in the light snow with beautiful, colorful lights, and the slightest blush on Taehyung's face, I knew that they were real moments that happened in real life. With people we really love.

So it was absolutely no surprise to me when Taehyung leaned in, kissed me, smiled - his eyes matching the crescent moon - and breathed out, "Sorry, but I love you too much to even try to pretend that we're only friends."

author's note:
hello everyone! sorry it's been forever since i've done anything here. i wrote this since i was inspired by an event that happened to me in real life and i missed telling you guys stories. until my next inspiration and the next time i have something i want to share with you all :)