Chapter 55, First Step To Recovery

Start from the beginning

Why?

Why would Madara let himself get discovered when no one could find a trace of him for the past four years? Unless...he has something in mind...

After all, he did say that he had a change of heart...

But what made him alter his decision? We had so perfectly planned the Uchiha's demise.

These questions have haunted me for the past couple of years.

My head whips in Shisui's direction when I hear him say, "Itachi, we need to talk"

"About?"

He keeps an eye on me as he walks up to my father. My brows crease as I observe them closely.

"Lord Fugaku, I'd like to get permission from you to take Itachi with me", he informs, making my father stop in his tracks. Everyone else stops as well, awaiting Shisui's reply.

"To where?", father questions as a howling wind sends a chill throughout my body.

What is Shisui planning at?

"Itachi hasn't been himself as you know, so I've been thinking that maybe if we could spend more time together I can help him", Shisui elaborated, rendering me more confused.

Therapy?

Father darted glances between the two of us before directing his gaze back to Shisui and saying, "Fine, do what's necessary", he darts his eyes to me and mutters, "he's way past to deal with anyways".

My eyes widen at what he'd just remarked.

He's way past to deal with?

My brows creased as I stared back at him. The  Uchiha clan members witnessed this as well as I involuntary snapped and retorted, "Am I just an experiment to you?!", my voice elevates as I tread closer, gritting my teeth, "is that why you're suddenly so invested in Sasuke? Because I failed you? Because I decided to grieve instead of concealing?".

"That's the way of the Shinobi, Itachi!", he yelled back at me, his voice elevating, "I thought you of all people would know that by heart. I get it, you lost a precious friend, but that was four years ago and life has to go on. You honestly think that grieving like this will bring her back?", he yells at me, making me wince at how deep his words cut.

"You have no idea", I hiss, gritting my teeth as I lower my head to conceal the tears forming in my eyes, "you don't have any goddamn idea..."

"What is he talking about?", someone from the Police Force  inquires.

Everyone, including Shisui gasped in shock when I whipped up my head, flashing them my Sharingan. Members of the Police Force inched towards father instinctively, as a few carefully came up from behind me.

"You have no idea", I growled, feeling my chest burn as I keep this secret suppressed. Even Shisui was taken a back by my reaction. His lips parted and he observed me closely.

"What are you talking about?", father inquired, his brows creasing.

"We'll arrest him on your orders", a cop assured him, but I disregard him completely.

"Itachi,", my eyes darted to Shisui who had a frown cemented upon his face as he stressed on my name.

"Stop", he growled, his face was serious and cemented.

At this point, tears welled up in my eyes as I stared back at Shisui. Shisui gazed more into my eyes before his expression softened and he was left puzzled.

I lowered my head again, shedding one tear, I forced the words out of my mouth, "...I'm sorry..."

Father remained silent as I bit down my quivering lower lip.